Assisted Living Administrator Training Programs and Schools

Assisted living administrators work in the field of health care, creating a safe, comfortable and engaging environment for seniors needing daily medical assistance. Read more to learn about training programs and schools that can prepare you to work as an assisted living administrator. Find out how to earn licensing or certification, if required by your state. Schools offering Medical Assisting degrees can also be found in these popular choices.

What You Need to Know

Because individual states have different licensing and certification requirements, you may want to review the requirements of your state licensing board before choosing an assisted living administration program. Degree programs in majors, such as health care administration, can provide you with the educational training you need to obtain state licensure or national certification.

Degree Options Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Science Gerontology, Master of Science in Health Services Administration
Certificates Gerontology Post-Baccalaureate Certificate, Certificate Program in Long Term Care
Courses Hospital organization and administration, health economics, long term care organization, health program planning and evaluation, health care law and ethics, health care reimbursement, health care quality measures

What Degree Programs Are Available?

Some states may require that you hold a bachelor's degree, while others may require that you only have a high school diploma. For more in-depth study and to increase your career opportunities, you may want to pursue an undergraduate or graduate degree in a field related to assisted living administration, such as health services administration of health care administration.

In some schools, assisted living and nursing home administration are offered as concentrations or tracks in gerontology degree programs. You can also look for undergraduate programs that provide an internship or practicum in an assisted living facility where you can gain experience.

What Courses Could I Take?

While the curriculum depends on the degree program you choose, most programs will include studies in management, health care law, epidemiology and health information systems. Gerontology degree programs will include courses more specific to the elderly. Possible courses might include death and bereavement, aging processes, retirement, gerontological services and nutrition

What Qualifications Do I Need to Be An Assisted Living Administrator?

According to the National Association of Long Term Care Administrator Boards (NAB), some states require assisted living administrators to obtain licensure ( In some states, you may be able to earn assisted living administrator certification with only a high school diploma and training through a state-approved program.

In those states that do require licensing, the minimum requirements to take the Registered Care/Assisted Living Administrator (RC/AL ) exam include having two years of professional experience in an assisted living facility and one year of management experience if minimum education is a high school diploma along with completion of an RC/AL course consisting of 40 hours of study. Depending on the state where you plan to work, you may also need to take a state law exam.

To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below:

  • 1. Degree Options:

Popular Schools

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. Next »