Which New York City Schools Have Beauty Programs?
Learn about beauty programs in New York City. Get information about programs available, admission requirements, and tuition costs to make an informed decision about your education. Schools offering Culinary Arts degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
Are you searching for beauty schools in New York City? Perhaps this article can help you! Below, you'll read about four different programs in the cosmetology field offered by nearby schools that may suit your academic needs.
What You Need to Know
In the New York City area, you can enroll in a beauty program at private beauty or career schools or a 4-year college. Some programs offer options for evening and part-time studies. The programs available may take anywhere from a couple of months to about a year to complete. Hands-on training is common, sometimes in an on-campus student salon. Graduates of beauty school programs will need to earn licensure in order to work as cosmetologists in New York. Read on for further details on schools around New York City where you can enter a beauty program.
Beauty Programs in New York City
American Beauty School
The program covers cosmetology theory and helps you develop fundamental skills. Classes are in both Spanish and English. The school boasts a student clinic where students have the opportunity to acquire hands-on training with real clients.
- Program Name: Cosmetology
- Program Length: Nine months (1,000 hours), full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $8,190 per year (Cosmetology program 2015-2016)
- School Type: < 2-year, private for-profit (201 undergraduates)
Career School of NY
You complete a variety of courses, including chemical hair-straightening, hair analysis, haircutting, and hairstyling. You also learn to apply makeup and manicure nails. Other required courses include salon management, sanitation, sterilization, and professional development.
- Program Name: Cosmetology and Hair
- Program Length: 29 weeks, day classes, full-time; 50 weeks, evening classes, part-time (2012)
- Tuition and Fees: $12,345 per year (Cosmetology program 2015-2016)
- Admission Requirements: High school diploma and Nationally Approved Entrance Test (Wonderlic) passing score
- School Type: < 2-year, private, not-for-profit (67 undergraduates)
CUNY Lehman College
This program is offered through Lehman College's Continuing Education Department. It consists of three courses: haircutting and special occasions hairstyling, makeup and skin care, artificial nails, and manicure. You also learn about haircutting techniques, stage makeup, and razor-cutting hair.
- Program Name: Beauty Techniques & the New Revolution
- Program Length: About two months, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $6,760 per year for in-state students; $13,870 per year for out-of-state students
- School Type: 4-year, public (about 12,400 total student population with about 10,300 undergraduates)
Empire Beauty School - Manhattan
The program has two main sections: pre-salon and salon. During the pre-salon portion of the program, you learn about manicuring, makeup, facials, hair coloring, haircutting, trichology, permanent waving, chemical relaxing, and artificial nails. During the salon portion, you study advanced procedures, state laws, and salon ecology. You also complete a salon experience.
- Program Name: Hairdressing and Cosmetology
- Program Length: 1,000 hours, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $12,000 per year (Cosmetology program 2015-2016)
- Admission Requirements: Federal or state photo ID, high school diploma, career planning interview and admission assessment
- School Type: < 2-year, private for-profit (585 undergraduates)
In summation, the American Beauty School, the Career School of NY, CUNY Lehman College, and the Empire Beauty School - Manhattan each offer programs that can help hone your skills in cosmetology and beauty.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: