Cardiology Degree Programs and Schools

Find out about the education and experience required to become a cardiologist, which is a medical doctor specializing in the function of the heart. Learn about the undergraduate work you'll need, then see the courses you'll take in medical school, and explore residency and fellowship requirements. Schools offering Cardiovascular Sonography degrees can also be found in these popular choices.

What You Need to Know

To become a cardiologist, you must first earn a bachelor's degree and then enroll in medical school. Admission to medical school is competitive, and it is important to earn the highest grades you can during your undergraduate study.

Upon graduating with a medical degree, you will be able to complete a residency, gain licensure and then focus on cardiology during a fellowship. Cardiologists specialize in illnesses related to the heart or blood vessels. Patients who have suffered a heart attack or other complications will see a cardiologist who may recommend lifestyle changes, medication or surgery.

Degrees Undergraduate degree in pre-medicine or a science discipline; Doctor of Medicine
Programs Residency, cardiology fellowship
Licensing Medical license is required before beginning the fellowship

What Undergraduate Courses Will I Take?

No one undergraduate degree program is required to gain admittance into medical school. However, you will be required to have completed undergraduate science courses such as biology, chemistry and physics in order to apply. Those courses may be completed as a pre-medicine major, or a science major.

Medical school admissions boards also look for students with a well-rounded education, possibly with liberal arts studies as well. The courses you take as an undergraduate should prepare you take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT).

What Courses Will I Take in Medical School?

You will likely take science courses that will help you learn about the interactions between the body's systems. In medical school, in addition to science courses, you will have the opportunity to complete a clinical rotation, sometimes known as a clerkship. Rotations generally include internal medicine, surgery and gynecology. Your medical school will most likely be affiliated with a hospital, where you get to interact with patients and make diagnoses under the supervision of a licensed physician.

Is My Training Complete Once I Earn My Degree?

Cardiologists undergo up to 11 years of training after graduating with a degree in medicine. Once you earn a degree in medicine, you will generally be required to complete a residency in internal medicine, and then take the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE). Once you have gained licensure, you will be able to obtain a fellowship in cardiology and gain the specific training necessary to work in that field.

To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below:

  • 1. Degree Options:

Popular Schools

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. Next »