Graduate Schools with Hospital Administration Programs
Read about your options for graduate study in the hospital administration field, including master's degrees, certificates and dual-degree programs. Check the prerequisites for enrolling in a graduate hospital administration program. Explore the typical coursework for these programs. Get info about online degree programs in hospital administration, and find out how they work. Schools offering Health Care Administration degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
There are a variety of graduate-level programs that provide education in hospital administration. Interested students can find on-campus programs at universities around the country, as well as online programs.
What Kind of Degree Can I Earn in a Graduate School Hospital Administration Program?
After two years in graduate school, you could obtain a Master of Science in Healthcare Administration or a Master of Health Administration. You could also earn a certificate in health administration, which usually takes less than two years. Occasionally, it's possible for you to enroll in a concurrent master's degree program that includes a Master of Business Administration, Master of Public Health, Doctor of Medicine or Juris Doctor degree.
What Are Some Schools That Offer Master's Degree Programs?
Individuals who want to earn a master's degree in health administration or a closely related subject can find graduate-level offerings at many schools, including the following three schools:
- California State University at Northridge offers a Master of Science in Health Administration.
- Framingham State University in Framingham, MA, has a Master of Healthcare Administration program.
- At the University of Alabama at Birmingham, students can earn an Executive Master of Science in Health Administration.
What Are Some Schools That Offer Graduate Certificate Programs?
A graduate certificate is a good option for individuals already working in a healthcare profession or for graduate students who want to enhance their studies in the field. Here are some schools with relevant certificate programs:
- The University of Arizona's Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health offers a graduate certificate in health administration on its Phoenix and Tucson campuses.
- Oregon Health and Science University in Portland, OR, provides a graduate certificate in healthcare management.
- At Northeastern University in Boston, MA, students can earn a graduate certificate in healthcare administration and policy.
How Can I Get Admitted to a School that Offers This Program?
Many universities anticipate your application will contain graduate record exam scores, up to three letters of recommendation, an essay and your resume. A bachelor's degree, not necessarily in the healthcare field, is often the minimum educational requirement. Management or industry experience in healthcare is sometimes preferred. Having completed coursework in statistics, social sciences, behavioral sciences, management, accounting and economics is also preferred by some graduate schools.
What Courses Will I be Taking?
Your core classes cover a wide array of advanced healthcare policy and business-related topics, typically in health, science, ethics and management. Online programs offer classes through an electronic course management system, while on-campus programs offer classes through lectures and classroom discussions. Your course load will probably include:
- Healthcare policy analysis
- Management strategies
- Human resource management
- Health law
For master's degree programs, you may need to write a thesis and/or complete a capstone project to graduate. Some schools will also require you to complete an internship.
Can I Earn My Degree Online?
You can find degree programs that are offered fully online as well as hybrid programs that require you to complete certain degree requirements on campus. A computer with an Internet connection is mandatory for participation in any online graduate program in hospital administration. When you're an online student, your admission process, coursework and graduation expectations are similar to those of students enrolled in on-campus programs.
What Are Some Schools that Offer Online Master's Degree Programs?
If you want to complete your master's degree entirely online, you may want to consider the programs offered through the following schools:
- George Washington University's Milken Institute School of Public Health offers an online Master of Health Administration program.
- Through the University of Southern California's online program, it is possible to earn an Executive Master of Health Administration degree.
- As part of its online global campus, Colorado State University provides a Master of Healthcare Administration program.
What Are Some Schools That Offer Online Graduate Certificate Programs?
For students who want to complete all of their studies online, graduate certificate programs are available through the following institutions:
- The University of Georgia offers an online, self-paced graduate certificate in healthcare management.
- Students can earn an online graduate certificate in health administration through the University of North Dakota.
- An online graduate certificate in healthcare administration is available through Valdosta State University.
Whether you're looking for an on-campus or online graduate program that covers hospital administration, you can find schools that offer relevant master's degree and graduate certificate programs.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: