Where in Florida Can I Get My IV Certification?
Find schools in Florida offering IV certification programs and courses. Learn about program requirements and school and tuition information for Florida health professionals pursuing IV certification. Schools offering Clinical Laboratory Science degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
Intravenous therapy programs are offered to medical professionals requiring the additional IV certification. If you are someone who has to draw blood as part of your job, you will need this certification, and you will want to find a school near you in Florida that will meet your needs and work within your schedule.
What You Need to Know
There are a number of 2- and 4-year colleges and technical education centers in Florida that provide intravenous therapy programs. They are open only to medical professionals such as LPNs, RNs, pharmacy technicians and respiratory therapists and aim to prepare them for IV certification. The programs might take up to 40 hours to complete.
Florida Schools Offering IV Certification Training
Daytona State College
The Institute for Health Sciences at Daytona State College offers an intravenous therapy course through the college's continuing education for health occupations. Offered 2 days a week, the IV therapy program teaches you various aspects of intravenous therapy and also includes 8 hours of advanced training. The curriculum includes instruction in calculating medication dosages, starting IV lines, managing central lines and ports, administering blood and troubleshooting IV complications. You'll also learn about parental drug compatibility. In addition to quizzes throughout the training, you'll also take a final examination and a test of your IV skills.
- Program Name: Intravenous Therapy Course
- Program Length: 32 contact hours, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $3,282 per year for residents; $12,352 per year for non-residents (2015-2016)
- Prerequisites: Must be LPN, RN or respiratory therapist
- School Type: 4-year, mostly associate's, public; about 13,300 students (all undergraduate)
Erwin Technical College
Erwin Technical College, part of the Hillsborough Public Schools, offers an IV therapy course with evening classes. The program meets all the certification requirements set by the Florida State Board of Nursing. Some of the topics covered in this course include working with central lines, starting and stopping intravenous lines, making correct calculations and troubleshooting mechanical infusion devices.
- Program Name: IV Skills/Therapy Course
- Program Length: 40 hours, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $3,019 per year for residents; $11,829 per year for non-residents (2015-2016)
- Prerequisites: Must be an LPN, RN or graduate professional nurse
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 800 students (all undergraduate)
Fort Myers Technical College
Fort Myers Technical College is a public technical education center known for its small class sizes, affordable tuition, hands-on training and employment assistance. The IV therapy course, designed for graduate nurses, prepares you for Florida certification in IV therapy. You'll learn about IV solutions, venipuncture techniques, IV therapy equipment, IV medication administration and IV therapy complications.
- Program Name: IV Therapy Course
- Program Length: 30 hours, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: About $315 (2016)
- Prerequisites: Must be LPN or RN
- School Type: 2-year, public; around 700 students (all undergraduate)
Miami Dade College
Miami Dade College offers an intravenous therapy course through its School of Continuing Education & Professional Development. Aimed at LPNs, this advanced training course gives you a thorough understanding of intravenous therapy as it relates to the nursing profession. You'll learn through a combination of lectures and simulated lab experiments. Upon completion, you can sit for the certification exam.
- Program Name: LPN Intravenous Therapy Course
- Program Length: 32 hours, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $2,834 per year for residents; $9,661 per year for non-residents (2015-2016)
- Prerequisites: Must be LPN
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 66,000 students (all undergraduate)
If you are a medical professional requiring an IV certification, you can find programs throughout Florida that will prepare you for your state certification exam, including Dayton State College, Erwin Technical Center, Fort Myers Technical College and Miami Dade College.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: