Which California Schools Offer Phlebotomy Certification?
Learn about phlebotomy schools in California. Get information about available programs and certification requirements to make an informed decision about your education. Schools offering Clinical Laboratory Science degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
The state of California offers a multitude of certificate programs in phlebotomy. Read on to learn the financial and educational requirements to obtain this certificate.
What You Need to Know
There are several 2-year public school options for students seeking certificate training in preparation for careers and certification in phlebotomy in California. Programs generally require that applicants have professional CPR certification; students must also submit to a background check and provide proof of a physical exam and immunizations received. A prerequisite class in medical terminology and proof of liability insurance may also be required. These 1-2 semester programs blend lecture and lab learning, plus hands-on clinical practice. You may be able to take evening or weekend classes. Externships are sometimes offered. Read on to learn more about your options.
Phlebotomy Certificate Programs in California
College of the Canyons
You learn about blood-collecting techniques, patient preparation and the equipment used to draw blood samples. At the beginning of the program, you hone your skills in an on-campus skills lab before working at a clinical site under supervision. Lectures and labs cover topics like urinalysis collection, coagulation, immunology and microbiology.
- Program Name: Phlebotomy Technician Proficiency Certificate
- Program Length: 45 hours of lectures; 54 hours of lab work
- Tuition: $1,154 per academic year (for 2015-2016)
- Admission Requirements: Background check, healthcare professionals CPR certification, physical and immunizations
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 17,100 undergraduate students
If you already have medical training as a registered nurse or medical assistant, for example, then this program is for you. It's offered at the school's San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles campuses. Courses at the San Luis Obispo campus are offered in the daytime or evenings. The program consists of two courses, a lecture course and a lab. In the lab course, you complete an externship, practicing skin punctures and venipunctures and observing arterial blood gases.
- Program Name: Certificate of Specialization in Phlebotomy
- Program Length: 1 semester full-time
- Tuition: $1,234 per academic year for in-state residents, $6,408 for out-of-state residents (for 2015-2016)
- Admission Requirements: At least 18 years old, healthcare provider CPR certification, medical terminology course, background check, drug screen, immunizations and TB screening
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 9,200 undergraduate students
Long Beach City College
The certificate program consists of a theory course and practicum. In the theory course, you learn about phlebotomy procedures and practice those procedures on a mannequin. In the practicum, you practice learned phlebotomy under supervision in a medical lab.
- Program Name: Phlebotomy Certificate
- Program Length: 2 semesters full-time
- Tuition: $1,182 per academic year for in-state residents, $7,398 for out-of-state residents (for 2015-2016)
- Admission Requirements: At least 18 years old, immunization, healthcare providers CPR certification and background check
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 24,400 undergraduate students
This program trains you to work as a phlebotomist in a clinic, laboratory or hospital. During your studies, you learn how to perform venipunctures, collect specimens and clean lab equipment. The curriculum also includes a 120-hour clinical experience.
- Program Name: Phlebotomy Certificate
- Program Length: 16 weeks full-time
- Tuition: $1,326 per academic year for in-state residents, $5,750 for out-of-state residents (for 2015-2016)
- Admission Requirements: Minimum 18 years old, healthcare worker CPR certification, physical, liability insurance, immunizations and background check
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 20,000 undergraduate students
If you're seeking a phlebotomy certificate in California, there are options available at Saddleback College, Long Beach City College, Cuesta College, and the College of the Canyons.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: