Which Schools Offer Sonography Certificate Programs in Atlanta?
Learn about sonography certificate programs in the Atlanta, GA, area. Get information about available programs and admission and program requirements to make an informed decision about your education. Schools offering Diagnostic Medical Sonography degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
If you want to enhance your medical skills with a certificate in sonography, you will need to meet specific prerequisites and have required work experience in the medical field. Find out about a local Atlanta program and what it takes to enroll.
What You Need to Know
Certificate programs in sonography in the Atlanta area are extremely limited and very competitive. You need to have completed 2 years of college, including prerequisite math and science coursework in order to apply; you also need to have some relevant health care experience, too. Applicants must also be physically, mentally and emotionally healthy. Classroom, lab learning and clinical training are required. Graduates are prepared for professional certification exams. Read on to learn more about your options.
Certificate Program in Sonography in the Atlanta, GA, Area
Grady Health System Professional Schools
The School of Diagnostic Medical Sonography at Grady Health System offers a full-time, 18-month certificate program in downtown Atlanta. It is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) and focuses on abdominal imaging and OB/GYN. Class sizes are small and competition to get into this program is heavy; only 10 students are admitted every year.
To qualify for this program, you must be in good physical condition. Much of your work in sonography will consist of moving and lifting patients into appropriate positions for imaging, and you must be strong enough to do so without harming either yourself or patients. You are also required to have had some prior experience in health care, either by completing an allied health program or a health-care related associate's degree.
The curriculum will incorporate classroom learning, clinical experience and laboratory exercises. You'll gain practical experience rotating through clinical rounds at several different clinic sites and various diagnostic-imaging departments, including perinatal imaging, abdominal imaging and pediatrics. The program is designed to prepare you to take the national certification exams in abdominal or OB/GYN sonography within 13 months of graduation.
- Program Name: Medical Diagnostic Sonography Certificate
- Program Length: 18 months, full-time
- Tuition: $6,705 per year (as of 2016; excluding fees)
- Prerequisites: High school diploma or its equivalent, graduation from an accredited medical program with a GPA of at least 2.5, minimum SAT score of 850 or ACT score of 18, completion of an associate's degree program with a health-related focus or completion of a 2-year allied health program with a patient-care component; college coursework in English, algebra, psychology, information technology, medical terminology, statistics, communications, anatomy and physiology, biology and physics
- Requirements: Minimum age of 18; good physical, mental and emotional health
- School Type: 2-year, public; student population of 60 (all undergraduate)
Grady Health System offers a competitive Medical Diagnostic Sonography Certificate for students meeting admissions criteria that prepares students through training and hands-on experience to take national exams.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: