Teacher Aide Certifications and Colleges

Teacher aides help teachers and students in the classroom. Read on to learn more about the certification and college options available to those interested in this field of education. Schools offering Teaching Assistant degrees can also be found in these popular choices.

What You Need to Know

Teacher aides assist teachers in their classrooms. They often help reinforce lessons taught by teachers and work closely with students. Various programs exist for those interested in becoming a teacher aide.

Colleges 2 years of college or an associate's degree usually required
Courses Children's literature, language development, foundations of education, child psychology, math, history, music, etc.
Certification Varies by state, may be required

Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

How Do I Earn Certification as a Teacher Aide?

Regulations to become a teacher aide vary on a state-by-state basis, and in some cases you may find that earning licensure or state certification is required. You will likely be required to have a minimum level of education, which can range from a high school diploma to an associate's degree, and you may also be required to pass a test. If you work in specific school districts, like those with low-income students, you may be required by federal regulations to hold an associate's degree.

You may complete a teaching assistant certificate program in as little as one semester in order to become qualified for state tests. Certificate programs might also appeal to you if you currently work in the field but are seeking additional educational credentials.

Teacher's assistant and educational paraprofessional associate's degree programs can help prepare you for positions of greater responsibility. If you're interested in working with younger children, completing an associate's degree program in child development can be beneficial.

What Courses Will I Take?

Through a teacher's assistant certificate program, you can take courses in subjects like children's literature, language development, foundations of education, child psychology, mathematics, history and music. Associate's degree programs in paraprofessional education and teacher assistance can include courses in similar areas, as well as subjects like physics, biology, algebra and psychology.

An associate's degree program in child development might include courses like human growth and sexuality, developing relationships, first aid, games, literacy and the management of children from infants to preschoolers. In all areas of study you may prefer programs that offer the greatest number of electives in order to study areas of interest to you.

How Can I Choose a College?

It's important to be sure that the college you choose offers the level of training you're interested in and the program that best fits your professional goals. If you live in a state or school district where teacher aide certification is strictly regulated, you may have the opportunity to complete more specific programs, like pre-professional or continuing education certificates.

If you have personal or professional obligations, you may prefer completing teacher aide programs online. Certificate programs can be completed entirely online and may not require any student-teaching or internship experiences. You may also be able to complete hybrid associate's degree programs in child development, where you are required to attend some classes on campus and other classes via the Internet.

To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below:

  • 1. Degree Options:

Popular Schools

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. Next »