What Types of Degrees Are Available in Child Psychology?

Get details on undergraduate and graduate programs in child psychology. Find out what you'll study and learn what careers you'll be qualified for after graduation. Schools offering Child Psychology degrees can also be found in these popular choices.

Degree Overview

Although child psychology degrees are available at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, many graduates planning for a career as a child psychologist choose to complete a doctoral degree. Other positions in this field can be acquired with a master's, bachelor's or associate's degree.

Important Facts About This Occupation

Mean Salary (2014) $74,030 (for psychologists)
Job Outlook (2012-2022) 12%
Work Environment Office setting, Clinical setting, School setting
Common Courses Intro to Psychology, Disorders of Childhood and Adolescence, Educational Psychology

Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Doctoral Degrees in Child Psychology

A doctoral degree in child psychology is a common requirement if you plan to set up a private practice. In most jurisdictions, a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) or a Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) degree is required in order to be licensed to practice child psychology. Child psychology specialties available at the doctoral level include school psychology, clinical psychology and applied developmental psychology.

Master's Degree in Child Psychology

A master's degree in child psychology can be either a Master of Arts (M.A.) or a Master of Science (M.S.). Career options with a master's degree in this field include positions as a school counselor, licensed professional counselor or as a psychological associate supervised by a licensed, doctorate-holding psychologist. A master's degree in child psychology may be used as a step in the long-term goal of obtaining a doctoral degree.

Bachelor's Degree in Child Psychology

Bachelor's programs in child psychology are rare, but bachelor's programs in psychology with a child development concentration are more widely available. Earning a bachelor's degree in this field may allow you to obtain health or human services jobs involving children. A bachelor's degree curriculum plus experience can lead to a career as one of the following:

  • Juvenile probation officer
  • Youth worker
  • Child development worker
  • Child care worker
  • Children's camp director

Associate's Degree in Child Psychology

Very few schools offer associate's degrees in child psychology, but you can find associate's degree in psychology or early childhood development that cover the psychology of children. An associate's degree in these fields might lead to entry-level positions in community outreach, child care or social services.

To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below:

  • 1. Degree Options:

Popular Schools

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. Next »