What Are Some Popular Types of Technology Training Available Online?
The types of technology training available online vary from skills training to professional certification to full online degree programs. Read on to take a look at some of the more popular types of online technology education. Schools offering Information Technology degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
Online technology education generally takes one of three forms, depending on the amount of time and other resources you plan on investing. At the basic level, there are training courses that teach you skills in a specific area; at the most advanced level, it's possible to obtain an undergraduate or even a graduate degree online, such as a master's degree in computer science. In between are many certificate options that can provide you with technology training and credentials that are widely recognized by employers. You should keep in mind that most online technology training will be computer-oriented because so much of the technology today is based on computer-driven machines.
Important Facts about Technology Training
|Online Availability||Full and blended online availability|
|Degree Levels||Certificate, Associate's, Bachelor's and graduate degrees|
|Common Courses||Application Development, Web Design, Operating Systems|
|Concentrations||Digital Design, Software Design and Networking|
Many schools offer online training in a variety of tech-focused fields. More popular ones include:
- Web design courses, which provide you with the training needed to put together a webpage and understand HTML. They also are intended to give introductory familiarity with the programming languages used on the Internet.
- Application training, which teaches you how to use Microsoft Office Software for various tasks.
- Operating systems courses, which will show you your way around computer systems, such as Linux.
Certificate and Certification Programs
Some schools allow you to obtain certificates indicating your proficiency in a particular area. These might include:
- Company-specific certification, like the widely-recognized Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) or Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) certificates.
- Systems engineering, which is the creation and maintenance of the large and complicated computer systems common in big corporations.
- Network security, which involves keeping important corporate networks as safe from computer hackers and other security risks as possible.
- Computer programming, which will teach you the more commonly used computer languages, like C++, Java, or Perl.
It is also possible to complete a degree program online in a technological field. A number of schools offer Associate of Science or Associate of Applied Science degrees through distance-learning programs; some even offer graduate degree online. These degree programs might include:
- Computer science, which covers the fundamentals of computer operations and programming.
- Computer information systems, which will teach you about the software used to run computers and make them work together.
- Digital design, which looks at commercial gaming and perspectives on visual design.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: