What Are the Requirements for Completing an Online Masters Program?
Any college degree, particularly a graduate degree such as the master's, requires dedication and hard work to complete the courses and other projects. The online student must also bring self-discipline and time-management skills. Read below for more information pertaining to program-completion requirements.
Completing an Online Master's Degree Program
Graduate schools specify and outline their conditions for program completion and graduation. The steps below are general guidelines; your online master's degree requirements will be similar. Also consider the tasks required of you as an online student.
Important Facts About Online Masters Programs
|Degrees||Master of Arts (MA), Master of Science (MS), Master of Business Administration (MBA), others.|
|Degree Fields||Many fields of study including education, business, criminology, liberal arts, fine arts, computer science and others.|
|Possible Careers||Masters degrees are valued in numerous fields from education to health care and technology.|
|Continuing Education||Masters degree holders may go on to earn doctoral degrees.|
While each program sets specific completion requirements for online master's degrees, the general necessities are fairly consistent across schools and subject areas. Reputable, accredited schools tend to expect the following:
- Most graduate schools confer credit for a class when it is completed with a grade of 3.0 (B) or better.
- Most schools set a maximum time from admission to completion, usually 5-7 years.
- A thesis (significant written research paper) or a non-thesis project is usually required.
- A comprehensive examination or on-campus residency may or may not be among the requirements.
- Most legitimate online master's degree programs consist of 9-12 courses, awarding 30-39 credit hours for the work.
Required Student Characteristics
Not all students are suited to the visual learning style and self-directed structure of online degree programs. Look at the following personal requirements:
- Time: Have at least 4-6 hours a week available for schoolwork. Some schools recommend an hour per credit per week.
- Self-motivation: You need to schedule your time and avoid procrastination. Work steadily at studying and completing assignments.
- Comfort with writing: Online learning is visual and text-heavy.
- Comfort with computers: You'll use your computer, e-mail, the Internet and the school's course-management system constantly. You may also need to learn about certain hardware peripherals or special software