Which Barber Schools Are in Virginia?
Learn about barber schools located throughout Virginia. Get information about available programs and requirements to make an informed decision about your education. Schools offering Nail Technology degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
Are you thinking about becoming a barber and would like to do your training in Virginia? If so, there are a few classes and certifications to choose from. Here is a summary of the fundamental information to help you decide which program best fits your needs.
What You Need to Know
Approved barber programs in Virginia are available through public and private, for-profit schools. You might complete a barbering program in about a year that fulfills the minimum clock-hours required in the state. A part-time certificate program in cosmetology theory is also offered as part of a barbershop apprenticeship program. In addition, you might also pursue a 17-credit cosmetology and barber program that includes hands-on experience. Keep reading to see if one of the following programs might work for you.
Training Programs in Virginia
Virginia School of Hair Design
The program includes classroom instruction and hands-on practical training. In it, you study salon business, hair pieces, shaving and cutting hair. You also take courses in shampooing, skin care, coloring, chemicals and conditioning.
- Program Name: Barbering
- Program Length: 1,500 hours, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $9,800 (2015-2016)
- Admission Requirements: Transcripts, social security card or driver's license, two reference letters and photo
- School Type: Less than 2-year, private for-profit; 87 undergraduate students
Wards Corner Beauty Academy-Norfolk
To graduate from this program, you must complete 1,500 hours of training. In this program, you learn about barbering services such as shaving, trimming beards, styling hair, shampooing and cutting hair.
- Program Name: Barber
- Program Length: Nine months full-time days; 12 months part-time days; 14 months part-time evenings
- Tuition and Fees: $18,000 (2015-2016)
- School Type: Less than 2-year, private for-profit; 113 undergraduate students
Certificate Programs in Virginia
Central Virginia Community College
This certificate program is designed for students wanting to attend courses on a part-time basis. Its purpose is to provide the instruction needed as part of an apprenticeship program. In the program, in addition to two courses, you complete 3,000 hours training in a barbershop. In the cosmetology theory I course, you learn about bacteriology, sanitation, hair and scalp properties, hair cutting and hair styling. In the cosmetology theory 2 course, you learn about massage theory, salon business, skin disorders, physiology, anatomy and chemistry.
- Program Name: Career Studies Certificate in Cosmetology Theory
- Program Length: Approximately the same as two semesters full-time study
- Tuition and Fees: $4,470 for in-state and $10,308 for out-of-state students (2015-2016)
- School Type: 2-year, public; 4,519 undergraduate students
Southside Virginia Community College
This certificate program includes courses in business, managing a small business, cosmetology theory, first aid and computers. Topics covered in the cosmetology courses include sterilization, bacteriology, hair cutting, massage, hair coloring, facials, skin disorders and chemistry. You also must complete on-the-job supervised training prior to graduation.
- Program Name: Cosmetology and Barbering Career Studies Certificate
- Program Length: 17 credits, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $4,350 for in-state and $10,188 for out-of-state students (2015-2016)
- School Type: 2-year, public; 5,352 undergraduate students
There are both public and private schools in Virginia that offer barber training.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: