Which Culinary Universities Are Near Kansas City, MO?
Learn about culinary universities near Kansas City, MO. Get details about programs and classes available and admission requirements to make an informed decision about your education. Schools offering Baking & Pastry degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
The Kansas City, MO, area offers students a variety of culinary classes, certificates, and associate degrees. Explore different school and program options below.
What You Should Know
Culinary classes and programs are available in and around Kansas City, MO, in university, community college and career center settings. You could take individual classes in areas of personal interest that last just 2-4 hours each or earn a 1-year certificate in professional cooking in a program that includes an internship. Additionally, you might pursue a 3-year associate's degree in hospitality management with an optional chef apprenticeship. Read on to explore the culinary options near Kansas City, MO, including some schools nearby in KS.
Culinary Classes Near Kansas City, MO
University of Missouri-Kansas City, MO
The University of Missouri-Kansas City offers food courses at various locations on and off campus. You may take courses in indulgences, such as chocolate and alcohol-based baking, and drink making, such as coffee cupping, afternoon tea, real drinking chocolate and home brewing. Courses are also offered in areas like vegetarian and ethnic food. These courses include demonstrations and hands-on training.
- Program Name: CommUniversity Online Class
- Field of Study Options: Food
- Program Length: About 2-4 hours per course
- Tuition and Fees: $7,837 per year for in-state students, $18,366 per year for out-of-state students (2015-2016)
- School Type: 4-year, public; 16,146 students with 10,453 undergraduates
Culinary Certificate Programs Near Kansas City, MO
Kansas City Kansas Community College
Kansas City Kansas Community College includes the Technical Education Center, which offers a professional cooking certificate. This program teaches you the fundamental concepts of cooking for a restaurant, hotel or catering service. You will receive instruction in menu marketing and planning, cooking methods and a sequence in food production. This curriculum also includes a capstone project and an internship.
- Program Name: Professional Cooking Technical Certificate
- Program Length: 36 credit hours
- Tuition and Fees: $3,240 per year for in-state students, $8,040 per year for out-of-state students (2015-2016)
- School Type: 2-year, public; 6,198 students (all undergraduates)
Northland Career Center, Platte City, MO
Located in nearby Platte City, the Northland Career Center offers a program that is certified by the American Culinary Federation. This certificate program is offered in a two-year format for high school students that involves three hours a day of instruction and a one year adult program that requires six hours daily. The curriculum will prepare you to take an entry-level management position or a job as a cook or pastry cook. Through hands-on training, you learn about safety, along with how to prepare sandwiches, salads, soups and sauces.
- Program Name: Certificate in Culinary Arts
- Program Length: One year, full time or two years, part time
- Tuition and Fees: $11,000 per year (2015-2016)
- School Type: Less than 2-year, public; 32 students (all undergraduates)
Culinary Associate's Program Near Kansas City, MO
Metropolitan Community College, Kansas City, MO
Metropolitan Community College offers this associate degree program in conjunction with Johnson County Community College. This program includes some general education requirements in English, math and the humanities. For your core courses, you will learn about topics in food preparation, beverage control, food purchasing, menu planning and baking. You must also complete a practicum sequence in order to graduate.
- Program Name: Associate of Applied Science in Hospitality Management
- Field of Study Options: Chef Apprenticeship
- Program Length: Three years, full time
- Tuition and Fees: $2,880 per year for in-district students, $5,280 per year for in-state students, $6,900 per year for out-of-state students (2015-2016)
- School Type: 2-year, public; 18,222 students (all undergraduates)
Several public institutions in the Kansas City, MO, area offer culinary programs for students ranging from individual courses to three-year programs.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: