Are There Schools for Fruit and Vegetable Carving?

Garde managers are the culinary professionals responsible for carving fruit and vegetables in a restaurant. Learn about culinary courses and programs that will prepare you for this career. Schools offering Sculpture degrees can also be found in these popular choices.

Fruit and vegetable carving can be studied through certificate, associate's and bachelor's degree programs. There are online options for culinary arts programs; consider a certificate or degree in hospitality management.

How Can I Find Schools for Fruit and Vegetable Carving?

Fruit and vegetable carving falls within the category called garde manger. Garde manger is a French term that translates as 'keep to eat'. In culinary programs, some courses in garde manger deal with the preparation of cold plates such as salads, hors d'oeuvres and appetizers. However, an additional aspect of garde manger deals with the decorative carving and presentation of fruits and vegetables.

The American Culinary Federation (ACF) has an accrediting arm that is recognized by the National Council for Higher Education Accreditation. As of 2011, the ACF accredits 186 institutions nationally that offer programs in the culinary arts. Fruit and vegetable carving is included in the coursework of many of the programs.

The National Center for Education Statistics has an online, searchable database for private and public postsecondary institutions. A search yields a list of 492 schools that offer programs in culinary arts, cooking and chef training.

What Are Some Common Programs?

Community colleges and technical schools sometimes offer stand-alone courses in fruit and vegetable carving. In some cases, these courses may provide college or continuing education credit. Courses generally meet for several hours once each week for 3-5 weeks. Typical subjects include choosing the best fruits and vegetables, set-up and preservation of arrangements, the proper use of tools, various carving techniques and design creation.

At community colleges, technical schools and culinary institutes, you can find 2-year programs leading to a certificate or an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science or Associate of Applied Science in an area such as culinary arts or hospitality management. Beginning and advanced courses in garde manger are normally included in these programs.

Universities or institutes may give you the option of applying your associate's degree to a degree-completion program. In these cases, two more years of study will result in a bachelor's degree in culinary arts. Additional garde manger instruction may be included in the upper level courses, which might also contain an internship.

Which Schools Offer Certificates in Fruit and Vegetable Carving?

Certificate programs are offered through community colleges and 4-year universities. Coursework includes fruit and vegetable carving.

  • Grossmont College offers a Certificate of Achievement program in Culinary Arts
  • Mississippi Delta Community College offers a certificate program in Culinary Arts
  • The University of Montana offers a Culinary Arts Certificate program

Which Schools Offer Associate's Degree in Fruit and Vegetable Carving?

Some schools which offers certificate programs with fruit and vegetable carving classes also make associate's degrees available with similar coursework. These programs can be earned in two years.

  • Grossmont College offers an Associate of Science (A.S.) degree program in Culinary Arts
  • Mississippi Delta Community College offers an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree program in Culinary Arts
  • Southern New Hampshire University offers an Associate of Science (A.S.) degree program in Culinary Arts

Which Schools Offer Bachelor's Degree in Fruit and Vegetable Carving?

These programs will help you get started in your search for a 4-year degree in hospitality management or culinary arts. Make sure there are relevant courses in vegetable and fruit carving.

  • Drexel University offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree program in Culinary Arts and Science
  • Johnson and Wales University offers a bachelor's degree program in Culinary arts with hybrid and online options
  • Temple University offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree program in Tourism and Hospitality Management

Can I Find Online Courses?

Due to the hands-on nature of fruit and vegetable carving, online or partially-online courses at traditional public and private postsecondary schools are very rare.

However, commercial culinary arts schools do offer online stand-alone courses in fruit and vegetable carving. Courses may be presented live via the Internet or by way of instructional online videos that you can access at any time. Schools may also offer fruit and vegetable carving instructional DVDs that you purchase. None of these are for-credit courses, but instead are generally offered for personal development.

There are plenty of degree options for fruit and vegetable carving. Choose a certificate or undergraduate program with coursework in those areas.

To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below:

  • 1. Degree Options:
The schools in the listing below are not free and may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users. Tuition and costs will vary across programs and locations. Be sure to always request tuition information before starting a program.

Popular Schools