Colleges for MRI Technologists

Find out about training and degree programs that could prepare you to use Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) equipment. Learn about courses offered and certification in the field. Schools offering Cardiovascular Sonography degrees can also be found in these popular choices.

Consider studying MRI technology through certificate, diploma, associate's or bachelor's degree programs. Many options exist, including online courses.

What Are the Prerequisites for MRI Technologist Colleges?

Some schools require you to have an understanding of and experience with concepts like nuclear medicine, radiation therapy or radiography. Since some colleges offer advanced training programs in MRI technology, you may also need to be certified by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) or have other credentials in ultrasound or a related field prior to entering a program. Depending on the type of program you choose, you could need prior postsecondary experience. For instance, you could be required to have an associate's degree in any field to enter a training program focused specifically on MRI technology.

How Can I Choose a School?

Certificate and technical diploma programs in MRI technology are common at community colleges and technical schools. You can choose from programs for aspiring technologists or programs that provide advanced study in the field. You can also find 2- and 4-year schools that offer associate's degrees or bachelor's degrees in MRI technology. If you want to enroll in a program, you may want to consider one that is accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics finds that in 2009, the organization supported 213 certificate programs, 397 associate's degree programs and 35 bachelor's degree programs.

Many schools also offer online programs, in which you have the option to take some or all of your courses online. In these programs, you may still need to take part in clinical internships and complete exams in person.

What Can I Learn in a Certificate Program?

Certificate programs last about a year and teach you about MRI theory and imaging procedures. You can learn about patient care and anatomical structure. Your program might show you how to use MRI equipment and computer tomography and how to process test results. Most programs require clinical training to prepare you for real-world experiences.

Which Schools Offer Certificates for MRI Technologists?

Consider these certificate programs at a starting point in your search for a school. These programs are designed to prepare students for employment in the field.

  • El Centro College offers a Magnetic Resonance Imaging Advanced Technical Certificate
  • You can earn a Certificate of Completion in Computed Tomography or Magnetic Resonance Imaging from GateWay Community College
  • A Magnetic Resonance Imaging Advanced Technical Certificate is available from Lone Star College

Which Schools Offer Diplomas for MRI Technologists?

Diploma programs are very common for MRI technologists through technical schools and community colleges. We've listed a few for you to consider.

  • A Magnetic Resonance Imaging diploma program is offered at Forsyth Tech
  • Edgecomb Community College offers a Magnetic Resonance Imaging diploma for imaging specialists
  • Wake Tech Community College offers a Magnetic Resonance Imaging diploma program

What Other Degree Options Are There?

You can find associate's degree programs in this field, including Associate in Applied Science and Associate of Science programs. You could take courses in anatomy, physics and physiology. You might learn about image analysis and MRI safety. As part of your program, you can expect to take part in clinical experiences. Colleges also offer bachelor's degrees that focus on MRI technology.

Associate's degree programs for MRI technologists are usually more common, but there are 4-year colleges and universities that allow you to earn such degrees as a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Radiologic Science or a B.S. in Radiation Sciences. While these degree programs can include training on many types of medical imaging, you can focus on MRI technology.

Which Schools Offer Associate's Degrees for MRI Technologists?

There are many associate's degrees in this field of study. Online courses are also available for students with a busy schedule.

  • A Magnetic Resonance Imaging Associate in Applied Sciences degree is available from El Centro College
  • GateWay Community College provides an Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Medical Radiography
  • The College of Health Care Professions has an online Radiologic Technology Associate Degree completion program

Which Schools Offer Bachelor's Degrees for MRI Technologists?

Four-year programs are available through various academic institutions with exclusive pathways. These programs are designed to help students gain an in-depth education in current MRI technology.

  • A Bachelor of Science in Medical Imaging Sciences Radiologic Imaging Modalities (BS MIS RIM) and a Bachelor of Health Sciences Imaging Track (BSHS) are available from Rutgers University
  • The University of Hartford makes available to students a Bachelor of Science degree in health science with a certificate of completion in radiologic technology
  • Rush University provides a Bachelor of Science in Imaging Sciences program

Many options exist for potential students in the field of MRI technology. You could earn a certificate or work towards a diploma; undergraduate degrees are also available.

To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below:

  • 1. Degree Options:
The schools in the listing below are not free and may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users. Tuition and costs will vary across programs and locations. Be sure to always request tuition information before starting a program.

Popular Schools