Compensation Professional Certification

Compensation professionals manage employee benefit plans and claims. Get information on organizations that offer certification, and learn what the requirements are for different certification titles. Schools offering Human Resource Management degrees can also be found in these popular choices.

What Certifications Are Available for Compensation Professionals?

Certifications are available through Michigan State University (MSU), WorldatWork Society of Certified Professionals and the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans (IFEBP). If you are interested in fulfilling on-the-job injury and disability claims, MSU offers the Certified Workers' Compensation Professional (CWCP) designation. If you want to focus on employee benefits and wages, WorldatWork offers the Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) designation, and the IFEBP offers the Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) designation. There are no education requirements to achieve certification, but experience in the field might be recommended.

Certification TitlesCertified Workers' Compensation Professional, Certified Compensation Professional, Certified Employee Benefits Specialist
CWCP Exam TopicsEconomic issues, paying benefits, claim disputes, medical reports
CCP Certification RequirementsNine courses at WorldatWork locations; subsequent exams may be offered without attending courses; continuing education every three years
CEBS Certification RequirementsSix courses and two electives; voluntary continuing education seminars

How Do I Earn and Maintain CWCP Certification?

You will be required to complete five modules, covering topics such as disability law, claims management, insurance, management, disability issues, medical issues and safety issues. Following each module, you will be required to complete take-home exams. At the end of the program, you will need to pass a comprehensive exam that covers economic issues, paying benefits, settlements, injuries, medical reports and claim disputes. To maintain certification, you can either complete continuing education hours or retake the certification exam every two years.

Am I Eligible for CCP Certification?

You may need to complete nine courses offered at WorldatWork-affiliated seminar locations. These courses might cover topics related to compensation management, market pricing, pay, job analysis, communications, regulations and documentation. You will also be required to pass multiple-choice exams following each seminar. WorldatWork does offer the option to take the exams without attending seminars. You'll need to complete continuing education hours every three years to maintain certification.

What Are the Requirements for CEBS Certification?

IFEBP requires you to complete six main courses and two electives. The focus of these courses is primarily on human resources, health plan design, concepts, retirement plan development, compensation management and benefits management. Your optional courses may include financial planning, health care economics, compensation issues and asset management. You'll have to pass exams for all required courses before being awarded certification. The IFEBP doesn't require you to renew your certification, but it does offer voluntary continuing-education seminars every year.

To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below:

  • 1. Degree Options:
The schools in the listing below are not free and may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users. Tuition and costs will vary across programs and locations. Be sure to always request tuition information before starting a program.

Popular Schools

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. Next »