Educational Administration Master's Degree

With a master's degree in educational administration, you can work as a principal or in another administrative role. The program prepares you to work as a school administrator in public or private schools where you can manage operations and supervise others. Schools offering College Administration & Leadership degrees can also be found in these popular choices.

What Kind of Educational Administration Master's Degrees Are Available?

Many schools offer traditional, on-campus Master of Education or Master of Science degree programs in educational administration or educational leadership. However, if flexible scheduling is an attractive option, you can look into schools that have online or hybrid programs. In many cases, you need to be a licensed, experienced teacher in order to enroll. Many programs lead to principal licensure, but some are designed for personal and professional enhancement only. These programs usually last about two years, although if you enroll part-time, it could take longer to earn the degree.

Degree Options Master of education, master of science in educational administration, master of science in educational leadership
Online Program Features View and download presentations, lecture notes, and course readings
Common Courses Educational leadership, curriculum and instruction, management technology, personnel administration, school finance
Licensure Requirement Principal licensure, teaching licensure

How Do Online Programs Work?

In an online program, you'll have access to view and download multimedia presentations, lecture notes and course readings. You'll also submit assignments and, in many cases, contribute to message boards and class discussions. All you typically need is a working computer and a high-speed Internet connection. While you can complete your work on your own time, you must still submit assignments and take exams according to set deadlines. Programs that have practicum activities generally require that you complete them at a school affiliated with the university, though you might get permission to intern at a school in your area.

What Will I Learn?

An educational administration master's program provides you with the knowledge and skills necessary to become an administrator at public and private schools. You can learn how to run a school office and supervise other workers. You'll take classes in educational leadership, curriculum and instruction, management technology, personnel administration and school finance.

If your program qualifies you for principal licensure, you might need to take additional coursework relevant to the career. You'll also spend time in an internship or practicum. This experience helps you combine your coursework with real-life experiences. You'll observe and participate in the day-to-day work of a principal.

Do I Need Licensure?

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), you'll either need a license or an endorsement in order to work as a public school principal ( In some cases, a teaching license and sufficient administrative experience could be all that's required. However, while licensure requirements vary from state to state, you'll usually need to complete a master's program and a period of supervised training with a mentor in a school setting. You might also need to pass an exam and participate in continuing education.

To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below:

  • 1. Degree Options:
The schools in the listing below are not free and may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users. Tuition and costs will vary across programs and locations. Be sure to always request tuition information before starting a program.

Popular Schools

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. Next »