Where Can I Take Graphic Art & Design Courses in Milwaukee, Wisconsin?
Find out which Milwaukee, Wisconsin, schools offer graphic design programs. See requirements, prerequisites and school information for a graphic design degree in Wisconsin.
There are several programs on offer for those interested in learning about graphic art and design in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Read on to gain an overview of what each college has to offer.
What You Need to Know
In and within 20 miles of Milwaukee, several 4-year schools offer graphic art & design programs. You could enter a bachelor's degree program in graphic design or communication design that may span 4-5 years. A portfolio review is necessary in many cases to enter the programs. Read on to explore the details and choose a program that suits your needs.
Graphic Art and Design Bachelor's Degree Programs in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Area
Cardinal Stritch University
Cardinal Stritch University offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) degree program in graphic design that focuses on training you for a career as a designer. The 4-year degree program begins with general studies coursework, as well as core classes in art and design. At the end of your second year, you'll undergo a portfolio review, and, if you're successful, you can enter the graphic design program. After acceptance into the B.F.A. program, you'll have the chance to develop a professional portfolio by completing projects such as brochures, publications, product packages and company logos.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design
- Program Length: 128 credits (roughly 5 years, full-time)
- Tuition & Fees: $29,998 per year (2018-2019)
- Admission Requirement: Portfolio review
- School Type: 4-year private not-for-profit; 2,148 students (1,457 undergraduate)
Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design
The Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design offers a B.F.A. in Communication Design, which incorporates courses in typography, packaging design, advertising design and information graphics. The 4-year degree program also includes courses in English, art history, biology, the humanities and the natural sciences. You'll also take studio courses and complete a professional portfolio of your work.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Fine Arts in Communication Design
- Program Length: 4 years, full-time
- Tuition & Fees: $37,360 per year (2018-2019)
- Admission Requirements: Essay, interview, portfolio with 15-20 pieces of artwork
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; 756 students (all undergraduate)
Mount Mary University
The graphic design program at Mount Mary University offers courses that can help you develop the artistic and professional skills necessary to work as a graphic designer. Some of the classes include typography, art history, drawing, photography and graphic design. You'll also have the opportunity to meet with clients in the Milwaukee area and create pieces for them, which you can incorporate into your design portfolio.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design
- Program Length: 4 years, full-time
- Tuition & Fees: $30,100 per year (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; 1,339 students (692 undergraduate)
Concordia University - Wisconsin
Located about 20 miles outside of Milwaukee, Concordia University offers a graphic design major that requires you to take your liberal arts and foundational studio courses at the Concordia campus and then complete design courses at the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design. The program includes courses in drawing, graphic design, photography, art history and typography. You'll also be required to declare a minor and purchase a Mac laptop.
- Program Name: Bachelor's degree in graphic design
- Program Length: 4 to 4.5 years, full-time
- Tuition & Fees: $29,450 per year (2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: 3 units of English, 2 units of mathematics, 2 units of social studies, 2 units of natural science, 2 units of foreign language or units in fine arts or additional units in previously noted areas
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; 6,374 students (3,493 undergraduate)
To recap, options for those looking to study graphic art and design in the Milwaukee area include bachelor's degrees as offered at Cardinal Stritch University, the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design, Mount Mary College and Concordia University - Wisconsin.