Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users. x
Penn Foster High School responds quickly to information requests through this website.

Penn Foster High School

High School Diploma
Penn Foster High School responds quickly to information requests through this website.

How Can I Get a Job in the Cake Baking Business?

Whether you create a three-tiered, car-shaped or simple chocolate cake, working in the cake baking business can be a creative way to spend your day. Read on to learn more about requirements for becoming a cake baker.

Get Cake Baking Training

The starting point for working in the cake baking business is enrolling in a baking and pastry arts program. Cake bakers are generally required to have formal training from a culinary school or pastry arts program and some experience working in the field. As an aspiring cake baker, you can choose from associate's or bachelor's degree programs.

Important Facts About Bakers

Median Salary (2018) $26,520
Job Outlook (2016-2026) 8%
Entry-level Education Less than high school
Work Environment Bakeries, grocery stores, restaurants

Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Associate's Degree

Associate's degree programs can be completed in two years and cover all aspects of baking and pastries, including cakes and cake decorating. You can expect to encounter classes that focus on basic and classic cakes and special occasion and contemporary cakes. Additionally, many programs include coursework that covers design and pastry techniques, such as preparing various types of icings or using decorating mediums like fondant or gum paste.

Bachelor's Degree

Bachelor's degree programs usually cover the same topics as associate's degree programs but also provide advanced business and management coursework. A bachelor's degree program in baking and pastry arts might be suitable if you're interested in opening your own cake baking shop.

Gain Experience

Many employers seek cake bakers with previous experience, which you can acquire through an internship or externship with a bakery, caterer or other cake baking establishment. Oftentimes, schools will require that you complete an internship or externship as part of your pastry arts degree program.

Sanitation Certification

Depending on the state where you work and/or your employer, you might need a food service sanitation certificate, which can be acquired through your state's public health department. In general, you'll need to complete a 15-hour class covering food-borne illnesses, food protection and safety, facility sanitation and personal hygiene. Renewal requirements vary by state, with some states requiring completion of a 5-hour certificate renewal class.