Top Law Enforcement Schools Near Columbus, OH
Find programs near Columbus, Ohio, offering law enforcement programs and classes. Learn about schools in the area, including program details and tuition information, to make an informed decision about your education.
For students looking to study within the law enforcement field, there are a range of institutions in and around the Columbus, OH, area to consider. Here you will find details on the schools and classes available.
What You Need to Know
Columbus-area schools that offer law enforcement programs typically grant credentials in criminology and criminal justice. Programs range from a short-term certificate in police officer training to a 4-year bachelor's degree program. Certificate and associate's degree programs require background checks and state driver's licenses; you may also need to complete a physical and be at least 21. The associate's degree program is intended for aspiring and working law enforcement professionals. Bachelor's degree students can complete field experiences, projects or internships, in addition to classes. Keep reading to see if one of these programs is right for you.
Law Enforcement Certificate Program in a School near Columbus
Eastland-Fairfield Career and Technical Schools
The Ohio Peace Officer Training Council has approved the certificate program at this school, and, once you successfully complete the program, you can be qualified for entry-level positions in Ohio law enforcement agencies. This program covers areas such as patrol and traffic techniques, firearms training, defensive driving, how to handle prisoners and investigation procedures. The program requires you to attend every class.
- Program: Basic Police Officer Training Certificate
- Program Length: 6 months
- Tuition: $5,925 per year (tuition for 2018-2019)
- Requirements: Age 21+, background check, Ohio driver's license
- School Type: 2-year, public; around 153 students (all undergraduate)
Law Enforcement Associate Degree Program in a School near Columbus
Columbus State Community College
The law enforcement major within the criminal justice program at Columbus State Community College can either be completed by recent high school graduates seeking to become law enforcement officers or by law enforcement officers currently working in the field. The academy track prepares aspiring law enforcement officers for the field by helping them earn Peace Officer certification in the state of Ohio and offering coursework in areas like criminology, criminal procedures and academy training. The professional track is designed for law enforcement officers who have already earned 3 years of experience in the field and who want to complete an associate degree program to help further their career. These officers are granted 23 credit hours for their previous work experience.
- Program: Associate in Applied Science in Criminal Justice - Law Enforcement
- Specialization: Academy track, professional track
- Program Length: 68 credit hours for the academy track (5 semesters), 45 credit hours for the professional track (3 semesters)
- Tuition: $4,284 per year for in-state students and $8,906 per year for out of state students (tuition for 2018-2019)
- Requirements: Physical, background check, Ohio driver's license
- School Type: 2-year, public; 27,343 students (all undergraduate)
Law Enforcement Bachelor's Degree Programs in Schools near Columbus
Ohio Dominican University
This program covers the foundations of the criminal justice system. You'll learn how to approach the field through a theoretical and analytical perspective. You'll also study the cause and effect of crime in today's society. Although it doesn't offer peace officer certification, you can still gain hands-on law enforcement experience by participating in research projects or internships.
- Program: Bachelor of Arts in Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Program Length: 4 years
- Tuition: $31,080 per year (tuition for 2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, private, not-for-profit; 1,188 undergraduates and 528 graduate students
Urbana University's criminal justice program was designed to prepare you for law enforcement positions at the state and federal levels as well as in other areas in the criminal justice field. You can tailor your program towards law enforcement through courses such as deviant behavior studies, juvenile justice and criminology. You can also earn credit for up to two field experience projects in your senior year.
- Program: Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Program Length: 4 years
- Tuition: $23,700 per year (tuition for 2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, private, not-for-profit; 513 undergraduates and 74 graduate students
In summary, multiple schools within the Columbus, Ohio, area offer degree programs in law enforcement, including both 2-year and 4-year schools with certificate, associate's and bachelor's programs to consider.