Master Mechanic Degree, Certification and Training Programs

Learn about in-class and online training programs designed to prepare you to become a master mechanic. Find out about courses, experience requirements and professional certification.

What Types of Degrees or Training Programs Can I Enroll In?

Master mechanic associate degrees, certification and training programs are available on campus as well as online, though they're more prevalent on campus. An associate's degree with a specialization in automotive technology is the most common program. These degree programs will either prepare you for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Master certification or advance a career for a Master ASE-certified technician. Additionally, the automotive technology program you enroll in may emphasize a specific car technology, such as Honda or Toyota.

Courses you'll take in the automotive technology program include engine repair, auto shop management, manual drivetrains, automatic transmissions, steering and suspension, brake systems and environmental problems. You might also take some general education courses in communication, English, math and physical science that are beneficial to master mechanics.

Degree Types Associate, certificates, and training programs
Program Fields Automotive technology
Hands-on Experience Many programs provide labs or will place you as a paid technician in a dealership to gain experience
Program Requirements May need current ASE certification, basic tools, may need to pass a hands-on skills test at enrollment
Median Salary (2018)$40,710 (Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics)
Job Outlook (2016-2026)6% growth (Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics)

Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).

Will I Get Any Practical Experience?

Most programs will provide hands-on labs; however, depending on the program, you may get to work as a paid technician in a dealership in one of the school's assigned geographic locations. Dealerships can include Scion, Toyota, Lexus and others. The work you do will be supervised, and you might be able to begin working as early as the second semester of your freshman year. Work may continue over summer break and into the first semester of your sophomore year.

What Requirements Will I Need to Meet?

Some programs require you to hold current ASE certifications and provide proof of these certifications via transcripts. You may need to purchase a basic tool set for use in projects and assignments. Depending on the school, you may be required to complete a hands-on test at the time of enrollment. If you fail the test, you may need to take a fundamental automotive course that you'll be required to pass before you can be admitted into the program.