Schools for Aspiring Insurance Adjusters

Learn about the job duties for insurance adjusters, and explore their education and training options. Discover professional certification and licensure requirements. Schools offering Risk Management degrees can also be found in these popular choices.

Degree programs are available for potential insurance adjusters, often found at the undergraduate level. Students can study these programs through community colleges or 4-year institutions.

What Is an Insurance Adjuster?

Insurance adjusters, appraisers and investigators are related occupations. In some cases the jobs are all rolled into one. An insurance company may employ insurance adjusters as staff members. Adjusters may also be public contractors who work for claimants or who market themselves to adjusting firms. The adjusting firm then contracts with an insurance company.

An adjuster negotiates with claimants; interviews witnesses; and consults with police, medical personnel, attorneys, contractors and repair specialists. Once an investigation is complete, the adjustor recommends and may help plan and schedule the necessary repair work, compensation, treatment or replacement.

What Degree Do I Need?

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), other than a high school degree, there are no education requirements to become an insurance adjuster. However, the BLS goes on to state that most employers prefer to hire individuals who have vocational training or insurance-related work experience.

You may be able to find insurance adjuster programs at community colleges, business schools or technical schools. Degree programs are rare. Courses you could take in an insurance adjustor program include liability claims, evidence, accounting, property claims and negotiations. The BLS mentions that a degree in business or accounting may be to your advantage in getting hired and performing your duties.

Which Schools Offer Associate Degrees for Insurance Adjusters?

The following schools offer 2-year associate degree programs for prospective insurance adjusters:

  • St. Petersburg College offers a Business Administration Associate of Science (A.S.) degree program with a concentration in Insurance Services
  • Clark State Community College offers an Associate of Applied Business degree in Insurance
  • Polk State College has an online Associate in Science in Business Administration program with a specialization option in Risk Management and Insurance

Which Schools Offer Bachelor's Degrees for Insurance Adjusters?

Consider the following programs offering 4-year degree programs:

  • Franklin University offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree program in Risk Management and Insurance
  • The University of Houston offers a Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) degree program in Insurance and Risk Management
  • The University of Louisiana - Monroe has a Bachelor's of Science (B.S.) degree program in Risk Management and Insurance

What Other Training Is Available?

Once you're hired, you enter into a period as a trainee. As a trainee, you work for a length of time with an experienced professional. As you learn the ropes and your abilities increase, your responsibilities and assignments will grow correspondingly.

Companies often conduct in-house, online and in-person training sessions and seminars that can contribute to your professional development. In addition, there are a number of associations that specialize in online and classroom adjuster training, according to the BLS.

What Certificates or Licenses Will I Need?

Licensure requirements vary by state. Adjusters are often covered by the license held by their employer and don't have to be licensed as an individual. States may require public adjusters to meet separate and distinct licensure requirements. There are a number of for-profit firms and schools that offer online and on-campus license preparation courses, geared to the requirements of individual states.

With a college degree and five years of work experience, you may qualify to sit for the Certified Professional Public Adjuster (CPPA) examination, administered by the National Association of Public Insurance Adjusters (NAPIA). With ten years of work experience, you could sit for the Senior Professional Public Adjuster (SPPA) examination.

The American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters offers an online certification course leading to the Associate in Claims (AIC) designation. General courses in the program cover topics such as claim handling and liability insurance. Additionally, you can choose from a number of specialty tracks, including property, personal auto and workers compensation.

Aspiring insurance adjusters can earn their degree through undergraduate programs. Options include risk management and insurance services.

To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below:

  • 1. Degree Options:
The schools in the listing below are not free and may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users. Tuition and costs will vary across programs and locations. Be sure to always request tuition information before starting a program.

Popular Schools

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. Next »