Schools for Translators

Read on to find out more about different translation programs available through colleges and universities. You can learn how to translate and interpret languages for businesses or in highly specialized fields, such as medicine and finance. Schools offering Applied Communications degrees can also be found in these popular choices.

Studying the art of translation is all dependent on your own desires. Gain insight into myriad languages in a vast field of programs available at all levels.

What Programs Exist for Prospective Foreign Language Translators?

Programs in foreign language translation are available at the bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree levels. Studies are also available through certificate programs. Programs in translation studies or translation and interpretation can often be found in university or college departments like applied linguistics. Schools offer translation and interpretation in languages as varied as Spanish, French, German, Russian, Japanese, Chinese and Korean. Degree programs in translation are rarely offered online, so you'll likely need to enroll in a campus-based program if you're interested in pursuing such a credential; however, certificate programs in translation more commonly incorporate distance learning elements.

What Will I Learn in a Bachelor's Degree Program?

Bachelor's degree programs usually offer translation in one particular foreign language; some may offer the opportunity to earn a second bachelor's degree in that language. A minor in yet another may allow you to translate in three languages. Depending on the program, coursework from a secondary area, such as accounting, computer science, healthcare or management, may be mandatory. In this program, you may study translation as it is used in business and will usually learn how to use your skills in various professional environments.

Which Schools Offer Bachelor's Degrees for Translators?

Thomas Edison State University's program allows students to select their language of study. Kent State University offers a plethora of options for foreign language programs.

  • Thomas Edison State University offers a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree program in Foreign Language
  • Kent State University offers a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree programs in areas like American Sign Language; French Literature, Culture and Translation; and Russian Literature, Culture and Translation; a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree program in Foreign Language Translation; and Minors in Foreign Languages
  • The University of Central Florida offers Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree programs in French and Spanish; and Minors in French, Italian, and Spanish

What Will I Learn in a Graduate Degree Program?

Master's degree programs generally require you to have a firm grasp of a second language for admission. These programs may offer coursework in different types of translation, such as medical, legal, diplomatic and cultural translation. They may also focus on the differences between translation and interpretation, offering instruction in both. Graduates can end up working in such fields as health, science, business and law.

Doctoral programs in this field are usually intended for those interested in performing research or becoming professors. Proficiency in two foreign languages prior to enrollment may be encouraged. You may be asked to choose a concentration in an area like translation pedagogy or translation criticism, or else have the chance to put a program together that combines various areas of study.

Which Schools Offer Master's Degrees for Translators?

There are many schools that offer graduate degrees for aspiring translators, including the following:

  • New York University offers a Master of Science (M.S.) in Translation
  • The University of Illinois offers a Master of Arts (M.A.) in Translation and Interpreting
  • The University of Texas at Dallas offers a Master of Arts (M.A.) in Humanities with a specialization in Translation Studies

Which Schools Offer Doctoral Degrees for Translators?

Often doctoral programs in language studies offer students the chance to learn in a variety of study areas. The following three schools provide related degrees with different focuses:

  • Georgetown University offers Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree programs in Arabic, German, Linguistics, and Spanish
  • Kent State University offers a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Translation Studies
  • Middlebury Language Schools offers a Doctor of Modern Languages (D.M.L.) degree program

Can I Find Other Types of Programs?

Undergraduate and graduate certificate programs are also available in translation or interpretation. Graduate certificate programs are available for professionals already in the field or for graduates looking for a career while adding another skill to their repertoire. Programs may be offered through a college's continuing education division and are often flexibly designed, with some incorporating both online and campus-based courses; some programs are offered completely through distance learning. Other programs may schedule evening or summer sessions.

Another area of interest for you to consider may be literary translation. This field involves the interpretation of modern and historical texts. Some undergraduate programs exist, but schools more commonly offer literary translation programs at the graduate level.

Which Schools Offer Certificates for Translators?

Certificate programs are offered at many schools throughout the United States and provide opportunities for study in numerous languages.

  • Florida International University offers a Professional Language Certificate Program
  • Brigham Young University offers a Language Certificate Program
  • Barry University offers a Certificate Program in Translation and Interpretation

Which Schools Offer Graduate Certificates for Translators?

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee offers a graduate certificate for for business and government translation in French, Spanish and German. American University offers three graduate certificates for translators, while Georgia State offers two.

  • The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee offers a Graduate Certificate in Translation
  • American University offers graduate Translation Certificates in French, Russian, and Spanish Translation
  • Georgia State University offers a Gradate Certificate program in Translation (French, German, Spanish; and a Graduate Certificate program in Interpretation (Spanish)

There are no shortage of opportunities for students who want to engage in the field of translation. Choose from certificate programs, bachelor's, master's or doctoral degrees.

To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below:

  • 1. Degree Options:
The schools in the listing below are not free and may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users. Tuition and costs will vary across programs and locations. Be sure to always request tuition information before starting a program.

Popular Schools

  • Ashford University

    Ashford University responds quickly to information requests through this website.

    Popular programs at Ashford University:

    Online Programs Available

  • Southern New Hampshire University

    Southern New Hampshire University responds quickly to information requests through this website.

    Popular programs at Southern New Hampshire University:

    • Master
      • Masters - English
    • Bachelor Degrees

    Online Programs Available

  • Colorado Christian University

    Colorado Christian University responds quickly to information requests through this website.

    Popular programs at Colorado Christian University:

    • Bachelor Degrees
    • Associate Programs

    Online Programs Available

  • Penn Foster High School

    Penn Foster High School responds quickly to information requests through this website.

    Popular programs at Penn Foster High School:

    Online Programs Available

  • Regent University

    Regent University responds quickly to information requests through this website.

    Popular programs at Regent University:

    • Master
    • Bachelor Degrees

    Online Programs Available

  • Southwestern College

    Campus Locations:

    • California: Chula Vista
  • University of Minnesota

    Campus Locations:

    • Minnesota: Minneapolis
  • Virginia Commonwealth University

    Campus Locations:

    • Virginia: Richmond
  • University of Iowa

    Campus Locations:

    • Iowa: Iowa City
  • Milwaukee Area Technical College

    Campus Locations:

    • Wisconsin: Milwaukee