Schools with Recording Arts Programs

Read about the types of schools that offer recording arts programs, and find out if online programs are available. Explore the courses you'd take in a certificate, associate's degree or bachelor's degree program related to the recording arts. Get further info on graduate degree options in this field. Schools offering Music Production degrees can also be found in these popular choices.

If you are interested in pursuing an education in recording arts, you have many options open to you at all different degree levels. Check out the article below to find out more about degree options, program offerings, and coursework as you consider which option is right for you.

Where Can I Find a School with Recording Arts Programs?

There are a great many commercial schools that deal with the recording arts. Some of them are reputable. However, you can find traditional community colleges and technical colleges that offer programs leading to academic degrees in recording arts. In addition, 4-year universities may also offer appropriate degree programs through one of their various schools, departments or colleges. These can include departments of drama, arts and media, recording industry, communications or a school or conservatory of music.

The National Center for Education Statistics has an online database of over 100 schools with such programs that might help you in your search for an applicable program. Also, there is an industry organization called the Society of Professional Audio Recording Services (SPARS) that might be of some help to you. The SPARS website features a directory of traditional not-for-profit, as well as commercial institutions, which offer education programs in the recording arts.

Are There Online Programs Available?

Some schools offer online programs, but these are rather rare due to the common use of practical lab or studio courses in recording arts programs. Many of the schools offering online programs are for-profit, commercial operations and some are based outside the United States. You may want to investigate before you make a commitment of time and money.

What Undergraduate Training Can I Find?

Depending on the school, a program leading to a Certificate in Recording Arts or Recording Arts and Technology can be completed in 6-12 months. Consisting of 18-32 credits, the certificate may qualify you for an entry-level position in the industry. Typical courses can include audio recording technique, an introduction to electronics, music technology, computer technology and music theory. You may have the opportunity to complete several practicums in webcasting and music technology.

A 2-year program can lead you to an Associate of Science or Associate of Applied Science in Recording Arts and Technology or Music Technology. Depending on the number or length of internships offered by a school, a program may take you an extra semester to complete.

Programs generally consist of 64-71 credits. Sometimes, associate's degrees are awarded as you participate in a bachelor's degree program, while at other times, your credits may be transferred at a later date to a degree-completion program. In addition to internships at school facilities or approved external facilities, courses can include music fundamentals, electronic music technology, multitrack studio techniques, mixing, remote recording techniques, studio management and postproduction techniques.

Schools may offer you the chance to earn a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts in an area such as Recording Arts or Recording Industry Studies. Though usually a 4-year, 120-126-credit program, there are accelerated versions available at some institutions that enable you to complete your degree requirements in three years. Typical courses include a number of units on multi-track recording, media literacy and law, studio and remote production, virtual studio production and digital production. You may be required to keep a portfolio of your work. One or more internships or practicums - either at a school-operated facility or an external, school-approved facility - are not uncommon.

Which Schools Offer Certificate Programs in Recording Arts?

Recording arts certificate programs are abundant, offered by a multitude of schools. The following are a few examples:

  • Henry Ford College has a Recording Arts Certificate program
  • Johnson County Community College allows students to complete a Recording Arts Certificate program
  • Butte College has a Recording Arts Certificate program

Which Schools Offer Associate's Degree Programs in Recording Arts?

Multiple colleges and universities allow students to earn an associate's degree in recording arts, including the schools below:

  • Cuyahoga Community College provides an Associate of Applied Science in Recording Arts and Technology degree program
  • Indiana University Bloomington has an Associate of Science in Audio Engineering and Sound Production degree program
  • Tribeca Flashpoint College offers an Associate of Applied Science in Recording Arts degree program

Which Schools Offer Bachelor's Degree Programs in Recording Arts?

Bachelor degree programs in recording arts are common, and can be found at numerous schools. Below are a few of them:

  • John Hopkins University houses a Bachelor of Music in Recording Arts and Sciences degree program
  • Full Sail University offers a Bachelor of Science in Recording Arts degree program
  • Indiana University Bloomington provides a Bachelor of Science in Audio Engineering and Sound Production degree program

Are There Graduate Degrees Available?

Although somewhat rare, schools offer graduate programs in recording arts that can lead to a Master of Science (M.S.), Master of Arts (M.A.) or Master of Fine Arts (MFA). A program can consist of 34-60 credits and take you 3-6 semesters to finish. A shorter M.A. or M.S. program may entail a thesis, while a longer MFA program might include more directed study units, a final comprehensive examination and a graduate internship at a professional sound facility, but no thesis.

Schools may allow you to apply to a master's degree program even if your bachelor's degree is not in the field of recording arts. If you have a significant amount of appropriate work experience and can demonstrate your expertise to the satisfaction of the school's admission board, you may be accepted into the program. If deemed necessary, schools may ask you to complete a certain number of prerequisite courses prior to admission.

Which Schools Offer Master's Degree Programs in Recording Arts?

At the graduate level, there are a number of schools giving students an opportunity to earn a master's degree in recording arts, such as the following:

  • University of Colorado Denver has a Master of Science in Recording Arts degree program
  • Middle Tennessee State University houses a Master of Fine Art in Recording Arts and Technologies degree program
  • John Hopkins University offers a Master of Arts in Audio Science degree program

Recording arts programs can be found many different degree levels, from certificate programs to undergraduate and graduate degrees. Certificate and undergraduate programs will prepare you to work in the field, while master's degree programs are designed for students already working in the field or interested in further learning.

To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below:

  • 1. Degree Options:
The schools in the listing below are not free and may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users. Tuition and costs will vary across programs and locations. Be sure to always request tuition information before starting a program.

Popular Schools

  • Full Sail University

    Full Sail University responds quickly to information requests through this website.

    Popular programs at Full Sail University:

    Online Programs Available

  • Southern New Hampshire University

    Southern New Hampshire University responds quickly to information requests through this website.

    Popular programs at Southern New Hampshire University:

    • Master
    • Bachelor Degrees

    Online Programs Available

  • Regent University

    Regent University responds quickly to information requests through this website.

    Popular programs at Regent University:

    • Master
    • Bachelor Degrees

    Online Programs Available

  • Penn Foster High School

    Penn Foster High School responds quickly to information requests through this website.

    Popular programs at Penn Foster High School:

    Online Programs Available

  • Texas State University

    Campus Locations:

    • Texas: San Marcos
  • Ithaca College

    Campus Locations:

    • New York: Ithaca
  • Savannah College of Art and Design

    Campus Locations:

    • Georgia: Savannah
  • Indiana University

    Campus Locations:

    • Indiana: Bloomington
  • York College of Pennsylvania

    Campus Locations:

    • Pennsylvania: York