Undergraduate Schools with Communication Disorders Programs

Find out what kinds of undergraduate degree programs can teach you the skills needed to work with individuals with communications disorders. Get information about coursework and degree requirements. Schools offering Allied Health degrees can also be found in these popular choices.

Undergraduate programs in communication disorders can be studied through associate's and bachelor's degrees. These programs are often available as degrees in communication sciences and disorders, speech pathology, or other related titles.

How Do I Find A School Offering an Undergraduate Program in Communication Disorders?

The searchable database at the website of the National Center for Education Statistics lists over 150 postsecondary institutions, including community colleges, which offer undergraduate degree programs dealing with audiology and speech-language pathology. You can find programs in communication disorders through a university's or college's department or school of communication sciences and disorders, speech-language pathology and audiology, liberal arts and sciences, health sciences or education.

The Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders maintains a directory of over 300 undergraduate and graduate programs, not including associate degree programs. This list consists of members and non-members of the council. Only graduate programs are eligible for accreditation by the Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). Undergraduate programs are viewed as career preparatory programs.

What Undergraduate Programs Are Available to Me?

Though programs leading to a certificate in this area are quite rare, associate's degree programs are more easily located. An Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Speech-Language Pathology can consist of 63-68 credits and take you two years to complete. Typical courses include language disorders and rehabilitation, language and hearing development, speech, low-incidence disabilities and communication disorders. With the addition of at least one clinical practicum, you may be qualified to serve as an assistant to a certified speech-language pathologist.

A more rigorous program consisting of more than 90 credits can lead to an Associate of Science (A.S.) in Communications Science and Disorders. An A.S. is considered to be a pre-major degree program and consists of most of the courses contained in the first two years of a bachelor's degree program. Courses can include several units of biology, psychology and human development, as well as introductory courses in health sciences.

Many schools offer programs leading to a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Communication Disorders. If you intend to continue to graduate school in speech-language pathology or audiology, prior schooling in communication disorders is the most applicable undergraduate degree path. This is commonly accepted as a pre-professional degree. However, graduation may qualify you for employment as a speech-language pathology technician.

Taking four years to complete, the baccalaureate program generally consists of 120 credits. Courses that comprise the program include phonetics, communication disorders, clinical methods, aural rehabilitation and neurology. You may also have the opportunity to complete an internship at an approved school, treatment center or hospital.

Which Schools Offer Associate's Degrees in Communication Disorders?

Study communication disorders at the associate's degree level via a specialization track or speech-language pathology. Consider a regular 2-year program in communication sciences and disorders, as well.

  • Armstrong State University offers a Associate of Science (A.S.) degree program with a track Communication Sciences and Disorders
  • Elms College offers an Associate's in Speech-Language Pathology Assistant degree program
  • Santa Fe College offers an Associate in Science (A.S.) degree program in communication sciences and disorders

Which Schools Offer Bachelor's Degrees in Communication Disorders?

Learn about communication disorders via bachelor's programs, some of which can be obtained through an online degree. On-campus, 4-year programs are widely available.

  • The University of Florida offers an online Bachelor of Health Science (B.H.S.) in Communication Sciences and Disorders
  • Eastern New Mexico University offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree program in communicative disorders
  • California State University Northridge offers a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Communication Disorders

Do Undergraduate Schools Certify Me as a Speech-Language Pathologist or Audiologist?

Earning a baccalaureate degree does not certify you. You may qualify to sit for the National Board Examination for certification in speech-language pathology or audiology only after you earn a graduate degree. The examination is administered by the ASHA. You can earn a Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) as a speech-language pathologist if you hold a master's degree or doctorate. Sitting for a CCC exam as an audiologist mandates that you have earned a doctorate.

There are many schools that offer undergraduate degree programs in communication disorders to help prepare you for certification to become a speech-language pathologist or audiologist.

To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below:

  • 1. Degree Options:
The schools in the listing below are not free and may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users. Tuition and costs will vary across programs and locations. Be sure to always request tuition information before starting a program.

Popular Schools