Which Schools Offer Veterinary Science Programs in Milwaukee, WI?
Find schools near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, offering veterinary science programs. Learn about the schools that offer each program, read a program overview, and get current tuition rates.
Students in the Milwaukee, WI, area can choose from a couple pre-professional and one DVM degree program in veterinary science. Read about these programs and the schools that offer them.
What You Need to Know
Although Wisconsin is home to only one university offering an accredited DVM degree program, several schools offer pre-professional programs to prepare you for veterinary medical school. A pre-professional training programs in veterinary medicine may be completed in two to three years, depending on the school. Programs are designed to provide students with the basic veterinary skills necessary to qualify for entrance into a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program.
Of the pre-professional programs available near Milwaukee, one leads to the award of a certificate and the other may be completed in conjunction with a bachelor's degree in a related field. One doctoral program is also available in the region and takes four years of full-time study to complete. Students must complete a project-based preceptorship or externship prior to graduation.
Pre-Professional Veterinary Science Programs in Milwaukee
Cardinal Stritch University
A private Catholic institution, Cardinal Stritch University offers a pre-professional certificate in veterinary medicine designed to be completed within three years. In addition to coursework in areas such as biology, chemistry, and physics, you will complete a clinical experience credit. At the completion of your program, you will have the met the prerequisite requirements for entrance to veterinary medical school.
- Program Name: Pre-Professional Certificate in Veterinary Medicine
- Program Length: 3 years (full-time)
- Tuition and Fees: $29,998 per year (2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: High school diploma or equivalent
- Admission Requirements: ACT/SAT scores
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; 2,148 students (1,457 undergraduate)
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
The pre-veterinary medicine program at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee is designed to provide the 60 prerequisite credits you will need for medical school admissions. You program will include foundation courses in biological sciences, inorganic and organic chemistry, as well as general physics. Program features include internship opportunities with the Milwaukee County Zoo. You may choose to complete the pre-veterinary medicine program as part of a bachelor's degree program.
- Program Name: Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Program Length: 2 years (60 credits minimum requirement)
- Tuition and Fees: $9,588 per year (in-state 2018-2019), $20,867 per year (out-of-state 2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: High school diploma or equivalent with course requirements
- Admission Requirements: ACT/SAT scores, applicant statement, optional letters of recommendation
- School Type: 4-year, public; 27,012 students (22,337 undergraduate)
Veterinary Science Degree Programs near Milwaukee
University of Wisconsin - Madison
The only accredited veterinary medical school in the state, the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Wisconsin - Madison is located approximately 75 miles west of Milwaukee. Featuring clinical experience at the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, your program will include courses in animal anatomy, histology, physiology, epidemiology, and pathology. You may also take courses in radiography, nutrition, and veterinary emergency care. In your final year of study, you may also complete an externship or project-based preceptorship.
- Program Name: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
- Program Length: 4 years (full-time)
- Tuition and Fees: $12,010 per year (in-state 2018-2019), $25,336 per year (out-of-state 2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: 60 required credit hours in specific science curriculum
- Admission Requirements: GRE scores, minimum 2.0 undergraduate grade point average
- School Type: 4-year, public; 43,463 students (31,705 undergraduate)
The University of Wisconsin- Madison offers a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine for students in the Milwaukee, WI, area, while Cardinal Stritch University and the University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee offer pre-professional vet programs.