What Universities Have Interior Design Degrees in Long Beach, CA?
Find out which Long Beach schools offer interior design degrees. See requirements and school information, and learn about the tuition rates for an interior design program in Long Beach, CA.
Students wishing to study interior design near Long Beach, CA, can choose from several undergraduate programs. Curricula typically combines multimedia art techniques with concepts specific to interior design, like space planning.
Education and Licensure Information for Interior Designers in Long Beach, CA
Interior designers usually choose to earn a bachelor's degree combined with courses in computer-aided design, drawing and interior design. Programs specifically focused on interior design are available at the associate's, bachelor's and master's degree levels. While you can work as an interior designer in Long Beach without a license or certification, you must earn certification through the California Council for Interior Design Certification in order to use the title of certified interior designer. To be eligible, you must meet particular education and work experience requirements. You must then pass the IDEX California examination.
Interior Design Associate's Degree Programs in Long Beach, CA
In order to earn your associate's degree at Fullerton College, you must complete the courses required for the interior merchandising certificate, with an additional 21 units devoted to topics like lighting, interior illustration, space planning and architectural drawing. The degree program does not fulfill any transfer requirements to a 4-year school. After completing the program, you may be ready for a career as a sales representative, design assistant, space planner or color consultant. Fullerton also has an internship course that you may participate in.
- Program Name: Associate of Science in Interior Design Assistance
- Program Length: 48 units
- Tuition and Fees: $1,138 per year for in-state students; $6,010 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- School Type: 2-year, public; 22,644 students (all undergraduates)
Long Beach City College
During this associate's degree program, you can study design theory, architectural design and space planning. After earning your degree, you can transfer to a 4-year institution and earn your bachelor's degree. In addition to the associate's degree program, Long Beach City College also offers certificate programs in interior design.
- Program Name: Associate of Arts in Interior Design
- Program Length: 60 units
- Tuition and Fees: $1,174 per year for in-state students; $7,750 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- School Type: 2-year, public; 23,845 students (all undergraduates)
Mt. San Antonio College
While enrolled in Mt. San Antonio College's interior design program, you can study interior materials, the history of furniture, exhibition design, business practices and space planning. An internship and interior design studio are also included in the curriculum. The kitchen and bath specialization can give you the opportunity to build up your portfolio. Once you've completed the kitchen and bath option, you may be ready to apply for the Certified Kitchen Designer and Certified Bath Designer exams.
- Program Name: Associate of Science in Interior Design
- Specialization Option: Kitchen and bath design
- Program Length: Two years, full time
- Tuition and Fees: $1,350 per year for in-state students; $9,414 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- School Type: 2-year, public; 29,346 students (all undergraduates)
Interior Design Bachelor's Degree Program in Long Beach, CA
California State University - Long Beach
Before starting the junior studio courses needed to earn the interior design degree, you must have your portfolio reviewed and purchase a personal computer. Once accepted into the program, you'll be able to use the school's multimedia studio and materials resources library. You can learn about interior architectural drafting, visualization techniques, computer-aided graphics and design drawing.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Fine Arts in Interior Design
- Program Length: Four years, full time
- Tuition and Fees: $6,798 per year for in-state students; $18,678 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: Prior interior design coursework; completion of at least 53 undergraduate units
- Requirements: Must submit a design portfolio for review
- School Type: 4-year, public; 37,466 students (31,690 undergraduate)
To summarize, students near Long Beach, CA, can earn their associate degree in interior design from several 2-year, public institutions, or earn their bachelor's degree from California State University - Long Beach.