Which Schools Offer Medical Assisting Degrees Near Milwaukee, WI?
Learn about medical assisting programs near Milwaukee, WI. See specialization options, program requirements, and courses in the area to start your career in the healthcare field.
Interested in working in healthcare? There are many opportunities in Milwaukee, WI to pursue medical assisting with various certificate and diploma programs available.
What You Need to Know
Public and not-for-profit, private schools in the Milwaukee area don't offer degree programs for medical assistants. Your best option for medical assistant education in this region is to find a certificate or diploma program that provides the training you will need to start or advance your career as a medical assistant. You might then decide to pursue a professional certification, such as the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) designation offered by the American Association of Medical Assistants. You could earn a certificate or diploma within approximately two semesters right in Milwaukee or within about 30 miles of the city. Learning both administrative and clinical skills in your program, you might also fulfill a practicum. Read on to learn more program details.
Certificates and Diploma Programs in Medical Assisting near Milwaukee, WI
Concordia University - Wisconsin
Concordia University - Wisconsin, located on the shores of Lake Michigan about 20 miles north of Milwaukee, offers a nine-month medical assisting certificate program, which is also available through evening classes over a 13-month period. This program focuses on the three procedural categories of medical assisting: clinical, laboratory and administrative. The program culminates in a five-week practicum in a local medical office and seeks to prepare you to take the national certification exam to become a certified medical assistant.
- Program Name: Medical Assisting Certificate
- Program Length: 9 months (daytime classes)/13 months (evening classes)
- Tuition: $29,450 per year (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, private, non-profit; about 6,374 students (3,493 undergraduate)
Gateway Technical College
Located about 32 miles outside of Milwaukee, the Gateway Technical College offers a program consisting of 31-33 credits of coursework and a four-week practicum that takes place after you finish your second semester. Your courses will cover topics such as medical terminology, medical ethics, clinical procedures and administrative tasks. Upon completing this program, you will be qualified to sit for a national certification exam.
- Program Name: Medical Assistant Technical Diploma
- Program Length: Two semesters
- Tuition: $4,454 per year for in-state residents; $6,467 per year for out-of-state residents (2018-2019)
- Admission Requirements: Completion of a Wisconsin residency form
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 7,037 students (all undergraduate)
Milwaukee Area Technical College
With four campuses around the Milwaukee metropolitan area, Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC) offers a medical assistant technical diploma program that typically takes two semesters to complete. You can choose to begin your program in either August or January. The program combines classroom learning with clinical and laboratory experience. Your coursework would cover medical terminology, administrative procedures, clinical procedures and pharmacology. After completing the diploma program, you will be eligible to sit for the national certification exam for medical assistants.
- Program Name: Medical Assisting Technical Diploma
- Program Length: Two semesters
- Tuition: $4,589 per year for in-state residents; $6,602 per year for out-of-state residents (2018-2019)
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 15,278 students (all undergraduate)
Waukesha County Technical College
Waukesha County Technical College offers a 32-credit course of study that can prepare you to apply for entry-level positions as a medical assistant in hospitals, ambulatory care centers or clinics. You'll learn about electrocardiograms, measuring vital signs, performing laboratory tests and administering medication. You will also learn how to manage patient histories and perform administrative tasks.
- Program Name: Medical Assisting Diploma
- Program Length: 32 credits
- Tuition: $4,405 per year for in-state residents, $6,271 for out-of-state residents (2018-2019)
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 7,961 students (all undergraduate)
To summarize, there are several opportunities in the Milwaukee, WI area that offer medical assisting certificates or diplomas in about two semesters, helping you to start a career in healthcare.