Which Schools Offer Computer Programming Degrees Near San Diego?
Learn about computer programming degrees offered in the San Diego, CA, area. Get information about degrees available and program requirements to decide which school is right for you.
San Diego schools have a number of different degree programs suitable for students interested in computer programming. Use the program details and other relevant information provided in this article to make a decision about your education.
What You Need to Know
Computer programming is offered at the undergraduate and graduate levels at public and private postsecondary schools. An associate's degree takes two years; in addition to core classes in programming languages, you can choose related electives. Bachelor's degree applicants are expected to have completed a strong high school course load; this degree can take 4-5 years and is offered as a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science program. The master's degree program offers several areas of specialization. It can be completed in roughly two years of full-time study and offers a thesis and non-thesis option. Read on to see if one of these programs is right for you.
Computer Programming Associate's Degree Programs in San Diego
Grossmont College offers you the opportunity to focus specifically on computer programming classes like programming, UNIX and Windows operating systems. You can choose Visual Basic programming, Java, C# or C++. In addition to those classes, you can choose electives such as advanced computer programming, software engineering or SQL.
- Program Name: Associate of Science in Computer Science Information Systems
- Specialization Areas: Computer programming
- Program Length: Two years, full-time
- Tuition & Fees: $1,386 per year in-state, $7,196 per year out-of-state (2018-2019)
- School Type: 2-year, public; 17,835 students (all undergraduate)
Computer Programming Bachelor's Degree Programs in San Diego
San Diego State University
To be admitted to San Diego State University, it's necessary to complete a specific regimen that includes English, math, social science, laboratory science, foreign language and visual and performing arts as well as one year of electives. While this is a degree program that provides a general scope in computer science, you'll take introductory computer programming and intermediate programming classes. You'll have to complete related coursework in calculus, discrete math, statistics, programming languages, algorithms and data structures. This degree program provides electives, and you can focus on coursework like advanced programming languages, 3D game programming, software engineering and object-oriented programming and design.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Computer Science
- Program Length: Roughly five years, full-time
- Tuition & Fees: $7,488 per year in-state, $19,340 per year out-of-state (2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: Completion of comprehensive pattern of college preparatory courses
- School Type: 4-year, public; 35,303 students (30,586 undergraduate)
University of California at San Diego
As part of the California university system, the University of California at San Diego has rigorous demands for qualifying for admission. You'll need to have completed courses in history/social science, English, math, laboratory science and a language other than English as well as visual and performing arts and a year of electives. You can choose a B.A. or a B.S. degree at this university. Both degree programs have foundational courses in programming, data structures, calculus and software engineering. You're required to complete general science courses like chemistry, biology or physics. In the B.A. degree program, you can take technical electives, but in the B.S. degree program you have to take both technical electives and technical cluster classes. For the technical cluster, you can choose a track in security and cryptography, artificial intelligence, bioinformatics, computer vision, networked systems and software engineering.
- Program Name: B.A. or B.S. in Computer Science
- Program Length: Four years, full-time
- Tuition: $14,167 per year in-state, $43,159 per year out-of-state (2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: Completion of a comprehensive pattern of college preparatory courses
- School Type: 4-year, public; 37,887 students (30,285 undergraduate)
University of San Diego
In this degree program, you'll be able to take both foundational programming courses and advanced electives. You'll take core courses in computer programming, data structures and algorithms, calculus, object-oriented design, operating systems and software engineering. You'll also need to complete a senior project. This program lets you take nine elective units of your choice, and you may take courses like programming languages and numerical analysis.
- Program Name: B.A. in Computer Science
- Program Length: Four years, full-time
- Tuition & Fees: $49,358 per year (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; 9,073 students (5,855 undergraduate)
Computer Programming Master's Degree Programs in San Diego
San Diego State University
San Diego State offers you a choice of a thesis or non-thesis option for this degree program. Both degree programs require 30 units as well as core classes in computational science, computational methods for scientists, computer imaging, computer modeling, computer database and a seminar in computer science. In the thesis option, you'll have to provide an oral presentation and defend your thesis in front of a committee. For the non-thesis option, you must take a comprehensive exam in three computer science topics.
- Program Name: Master of Science in Computer Science
- Specialization Areas: Programming and formal languages, operating systems and architecture, algorithms and complexity, intelligent systems and robotics, distributed systems and web technology
- Program Length: Roughly two and half years, full-time
- Tuition & Fees: $8,922 per year in-state, $18,426 per year out-of-state (2018-2019 graduate rates)
- Prerequisites: Bachelor's degree, precalculus, calculus, discrete math, linear algebra, programming, assembly language, data structure, programming languages, computer architecture, algorithms, operating systems
- Admission Requirements: GRE, three letters of recommendation, statement of purpose
- School Type: 4-year, public; 35,303 students (4,717 graduate)
In summary, an associate's degree in computer programming can be earned at Grossmont College, bachelor's degree programs are available from San Diego State University, the University of California at San Diego and the University of San Diego, and San Diego State University also offers a master's degree in the field.