What Is the Curriculum of an Online Degree in Event Planning?
The growth of the event planning industry has prompted a need for well-trained professionals. Earning an online degree in event planning could open the door to a career of making people's dream events come true. Read on to learn more.
Online Degrees in Event Planning
Online event planning degree programs are offered at both the graduate and undergraduate levels, usually as a certificate program. Degree programs might also be offered under the name of event management or wedding and event planning. Additionally, standalone courses that are not part of a degree program may be offered online.
Graduates of online degree programs in meeting and event planning complete a curriculum that presents conceptual and practical facets of the business. This includes researching, designing, organizing and assessing events and meetings, from small family gatherings to huge trade shows and conventions. Event planning students will study the best practices in marketing, coordination and risk management. The typical online curriculum will include many of the following courses:
- Event Planning Industry Overview - This course is a comprehensive introduction to the meeting and event planning industry.
- Site Selection - Learn how to select sites and conduct inspections. Then learn about the Americans with Disabilities Act and discover how to achieve ADA compliance.
- Contract and Risk Management - Students will learn about negotiation, contracts and legal issues. They'll find out how to develop an appropriate risk management plan for every meeting and event.
- Food and Beverage - Food and beverage management, menus, pricing and catering are necessary considerations for a successful, profitable event.
- Vendors - For optimal teamwork skills, every event planner needs a course focusing on vendor management and communication.
- On-Site Management, Registration, Audio-Video - When guests start arriving, event planners will be glad they studied on-site management logistics and organization, registration methods and audio-video technology.
- Sponsorship Marketing and Media - This course covers marketing concepts, how to identify and develop promotional strategies, market meetings and special events, event sponsorship and public relations techniques.
- Special Events/Trade Shows/International Events - Here, you'll learn to research and design venues. You'll focus on coordination, entertainment, scheduling, flow and fundraising.
Important Facts About an Online Event Planning Degree
|Prerequisites||High school diploma, or equivalent|
|Degree Levels||Associate's, bachelor's, and master's degrees available|
|Possible Careers||Hotel sales manager, catering manager, convention center manager|
|Continuing Education||Voluntary; Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) designation available through the Convention Industry Council|
|Median Salary (2018)||$49,370 ( for meeting, convention and event planners)|
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Event Planning Career Info
Event planning is a growing industry, as many individuals and businesses seek professionals to plan their special occasions. Event planners may organize the details of weddings, family reunions, birthday parties, corporate outings, team-building events, award ceremonies, charity events and political rallies. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, job opportunities for meeting, convention and event planners are expected to increase by 11% between 2016 and 2026, faster than the national average for all jobs. The BLS predicts that applicants with experience and postsecondary education will have the best opportunities for new jobs.