Where Can I Find Online Training for a Career in Sales?
Sales people need to be friendly and persuasive in order to make sales and earn their commission. There are several degree programs focusing on sales and other sales training programs available online.
Non-credit Online Sales Training Courses
Many schools and universities offer non-credit courses online that may improve your sales skills. These courses do not always lead to a degree, although some lead to a certificate, but they may help you improve your sales pitch and technique. Some non-credit courses include effective selling, Internet marketing and motivating sales people through incentives and compensation and professional sales skills. Some schools offering non-credit online training for careers in sales include:
- Orange Coast College: This college offers certificates and degrees in sales and marketing geared toward those planning careers in hotel management.
- Arizona State University: The W.P. Carey School of Business offers a certificate program in sales and marketing for students who aren't in the business program.
Important Facts About This Field of Study
|Common Courses||Finance, management science, business ethics|
|Prerequisites||Varies between programs, but most require a high school diploma, GED or equivalent|
|Concentrations||Certificate and associate's degree programs do not typically offer concentrations, but bachelor's programs may offer specializations in accounting, entrepreneurship or international management|
|Possible Careers||Trade positions with multinational companies, human resource management, senior management|
|Median Salary (2018)*||$124,220 (Sales Managers)|
$113,300 (Human Resources Managers)
|Job Outlook (2016-2026)*||7% (Sales Managers)|
9% (Human Resources Managers)
Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
Certificate and Associate Degree Programs in Sales
Many community colleges offer certificate and associate degree programs in sales training completely online. These programs can be taken while you follow your regular, daily schedule, so they're easy to complete in a timeframe appropriate for you. Some examples of programs that offer online training for a career in sales include:
- Professional Selling Certificate: This certificate is offered by community colleges like McHenry Community College in Illinois. Courses include professional selling, direct marketing and principles of retail.
- Associate of Science in Business Administration: This associate degree program provides online training in sales and business through courses like principles of marketing, creative selling and business communications. Offered by Penn State University, this 60-credit program covers the fundamentals of business administration, including economics, information systems, and accounting.
Sales Training Online Bachelor's Degree Programs
Thorough online training for careers in sales can include bachelor's degree programs in disciplines like marketing or business administration. Schools offering online degree programs include:
- Ball State University
- Morehead State University
- Bellevue University