Which Architecture Schools Are in the San Antonio, TX Area?
Learn about architecture schools in San Antonio, TX. Get information about degrees available and admission requirements to make an informed decision about your education.
Architecture schools are rare in San Antonio, TX; the University of Texas at San Antonio is the only area school offering programs in this field. Learn about the University of Texas at San Antonio and the undergraduate and graduate programs it offers.
What You Need to Know
You could enroll in a pre-professional bachelor's degree program to start your studies in architecture. While this degree program won't prepare you for licensure, it could give you a solid grounding in architectural theory, along with general education courses. From there, enrolling in an M.Arch program will prepare you to sit for the architect licensure exam. You could also earn a Master of Science in the field, which could prepare you for work in preservation, urban planning or sustainability.
Architecture Bachelor's Degree Program in San Antonio, TX
University of Texas at San Antonio
The bachelor's degree program at the University of Texas at San Antonio will engage you in design studio projects, in addition to regular coursework. After earning your degree, you won't be ready to sit for your license examination, but you will be ready to perform some limited architectural activities. This pre-professional program's curriculum includes building technology, design visualization, architecture studios and the built environment.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Science in Architecture
- Program Length: Four years, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $8,049 per year for in-state, $19,593 per year for out-of-state (for 2018-2019 academic year)
- School Type: 4-year, public; 28,628 students (27,988 undergraduate)
Architecture Master's Degree Program in San Antonio, TX
University of Texas at San Antonio
The University of Texas includes a variety of options on the master's degree level. The Master of Science program consists of 33 credits and can take one and a half to two years. It offers focus areas in building science, historic preservation, urban studies and sustainability. This non-studio research program will prepare you for a job in consulting, research or teaching. You'll also be engaged in research methods and critical writing.
The Master of Architecture (M.Arch 2) program takes two years (52 credits) and is for students who already have a bachelor's degree in architecture. If you don't have such an undergraduate degree, you can be admitted into the Master of Architecture (M.Arch 3) program, which takes three and a half years (91 credits) to complete and includes a year of preparatory coursework that you must complete before transitioning into the M.Arch 2 curriculum. These programs culminate in a professional degree that can prepare you to pursue your career as a licensed architect.
- Program Name: Master of Science in Architecture, Master of Architecture (M.Arch 2 or M.Arch 3)
- Program Length: One and a half to three and a half years
- Tuition and Fees: $7,564 per year for in-state, $24,397 per year for out-of-state (for 2018-2019 academic year)
- Prerequisites: Bachelor's degree
- Admission Requirements: Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores, letters of recommendation, letter of intent, portfolio, samples of expository writing
- School Type: 4-year, public; 32,264 students (27,988 undergraduate)
The University of Texas at San Antonio offers a Bachelor of Science in Architecture as well as Master of Science in Architecture and Master of Architecture (M.Arch 2 or M.Arch 3) programs for students near San Antonio, TX.