Which Colleges Have Fashion Degree Programs in the Nashville, TN Area?
Learn about fashion degree programs in the Nashville, TN, area. See degree and specialization options, program requirements and courses, and get career and salary info for the region.
Would you like to pursue a degree in fashion? The Nashville, TN area is home to Lipscomb University, O'More College of Design, and Tennessee State University, all offering 4-year bachelor's degree programs to prepare you for the career you want.
What You Should Know
Fashion degree programs in and around Nashville are typically found at 4-year institutions. You could pursue a 4-year bachelor's degree with a specialization in fashion design, fashion merchandising or textiles & apparel construction. Internships are required in most programs. Explore the following information to choose a program that suits your needs.
Fashion Bachelor's Degree Programs in the Nashville Area
If you're interested in studying fashion at Lipscomb, you can earn a B.S. or B.A. in Family and Consumer Sciences with a concentration in fashion merchandising or textiles and apparel construction. The fashion merchandising concentration offers you a choice between corporate retail environment and small business environment tracks. Both tracks allow you to explore design and construction of garments, along with business principles of the fashion industry. Another option is to select a concentration in textiles and apparel, allowing you to study the use of fabric in both clothing and home design. You'll also receive instruction in the design, construction and manufacturing of apparel and home furnishing items. Both concentration options require an internship.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences, Bachelor of Arts in Family and Consumer Sciences
- Specialization Areas: Fashion merchandising, textiles and apparel construction
- Program Length: 126 credit hours (roughly 5 years, full-time)
- Tuition and Fees: $32,144 per year (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; nearly 3,000 undergrads, over 1,600 graduate students
O'More College of Design
The O'More College of Design specializes in preparing students for careers in fashion and design, while providing a strong liberal arts curriculum. In the fashion design program, you can take courses such as clothing construction, draping, pattern design, computer-aided design, textile design, marketing and buying. You'll also participate in a 180-hour internship with a professional fashion designer or a fashion design-related company, as well as have the opportunity to assist in the production of a student fashion show.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Fine Arts in Fashion Design
- Program Length: 4 years, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $27,360 per year (2015-2016)
- Admissions Requirements: Sewing sample, laptop, sewing machine
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; 172 students (all undergraduate)
Tennessee State University
The College of Agriculture, Human and Natural Sciences offers a bachelor's degree program in family and consumer sciences with the option to specialize in fashion merchandising. In this 4-year program, you'll take general studies and elective courses, as well as a number of classes in your concentration area. Some of the many fashion merchandising courses you can take include textiles, apparel quality analysis, cultural dress, economics of clothing and costume history. You'll also complete an internship during your senior year.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences with a specialization in fashion merchandising
- Program Length: 4 years, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $8,792 per year for in-state students, $21,512 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- Prerequisite: Completion of high school courses in English, math, lab science, history, foreign language, social science and the arts
- Admissions Requirement: Proof of measles vaccination
- School Type: 4-year, public; 6,121 undergrads and around 1,653 graduate students
In summary, there are several universities in the Nashville, TN area offering 4-year bachelor's degree programs to prepare you for a career in fashion.