Which Culinary Colleges Are in the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Area?
Learn about culinary colleges in the Oklahoma City, OK, area. Get information about classes available and program requirements to make an informed decision about your education.
Do you want to learn how to cook professionally in the Oklahoma City, OK, area? Read on to explore culinary programs and the associated cost and time commitment.
What You Should Know
Culinary classes and programs near Oklahoma City are typically offered through 2-year or less-than-2-year technology centers. You could learn cake decorating skills through 12-hour class levels to be completed sequentially. You might also complete a 9-month culinary arts program or programs in food service management assistant, culinary arts assistant or food service attendant that span from 360-851 hours. Some programs welcome high school students and may include externships. Upon completion of programs, you may qualify for voluntary certification through the American Culinary. Keep reading to explore your options.
Culinary Classes in the Oklahoma City, OK, Area
Canadian Valley Technology Center
You must take these classes in order, since a lower-level class is a prerequisite for the classes that follow it. You'll learn how to decorate desserts, appetizers and cakes. You'll also make borders and flowers and hone your icing technique skills. As your skills develop, you'll learn to decorate with fondant and gum paste.
- Program Name: Cake Decorating - Level 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Program Length: 12 hours for each level
- Tuition: $4,980 per academic year for full-time student (2018-2019)
- School Type: Less than 2-year, public (about 1,496 undergraduates)
Culinary Programs in the Oklahoma City, OK, Area
Francis Tuttle Technology Center
This program will help you develop cooking techniques and methods skills, progressing from basic to advanced. You'll take instruction in making stocks and soups, as well as learning to prepare poultry, meat, seafood, vegetables and pastries. After graduating, you will be qualified to seek a position higher than an entry-level job.
- Program Name: Culinary Arts Program
- Program Length: 9 months full-time
- Tuition: $2,640 per academic year for full-time student (2018-2019)
- School Type: Less than 2-year, public (about 1,945 undergraduates)
Metro Technology Centers
If you are looking for a career in food preparation or food services, this program will provide you with the needed skills. You will complete courses in basic culinary skills, pasta, legumes, grains, knives, appetizers, sandwiches and breakfast foods. You will also have the opportunity to apply your new skills during a 60-hour externship.
- Program Name: Culinary Arts Assistant
- Program Length: 600 hours
- Tuition: $6,679 per academic year for full-time students (2018-2019)
- School Type: 2-year, public (about 1,225 undergraduates)
Meridian Technology Center
The Hospitality and Tourism program at Meridian Technology Center offers two programs for those interested in a culinary career. They are available to high school juniors, seniors or students who have graduated in the past year, as well as adults, though the adult students pay different tuition rates. The food service assistant program includes courses in sanitation, purchasing and dining room operations. The food service management assistant program includes similar courses, plus an internship and research option in food service or beverage management. You can obtain the ServSafe certification offered by the National Restaurant Association as part of either course.
- Program Name: Hospitality and Tourism Program
- Specialization Options: Food Service Management Assistant (FSMA) or Food Service Attendant (FSA)
- Program Length: 851 hours (FSMA) or 360 hours (FSA)
- Tuition: $1,800 per academic year for full-time students (2018-2019)
- School Type: 2-year, public (about 867 undergraduates)
With the information presented in this article, prospective students in the Oklahoma City, OK, area are on their way to becoming a professional chef.