Which Liberal Arts Schools Are in the San Antonio, TX Area?
Learn about liberal arts schools in San Antonio, TX. Get information about programs available and program requirements to make an informed decision about your education.
There are a variety of liberal arts schools in San Antonio, TX offering different program lengths and degree levels. Here is a summary of pertinent information for five schools and the programs they offer.
What You Need to Know
You can earn a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree in a liberal arts field. Some schools even offer combination degree programs. These fields include communications, music, history, art, philosophy, and other similar disciplines. Several schools offer study abroad options, and some include internship opportunities.
Liberal Arts Schools in San Antonio, TX
St. Mary's University
At St. Mary's University, you can pursue a bachelor's degree in one of many disparate fields of study offered through the School of Humanities and Social Sciences. As a graduate student, you can pursue master's degrees in areas such as English, political science, or theology. You can also pursue a combined bachelor's/master's degree, a Ph.D., or a law degree.
- Degrees Offered: Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts
- Field of Study Options: English and communication studies, forensic science, multinational organizational studies, Latin American and U.S. Latino studies, music, anthropology, economics, psychology, exercise and sport sciences, history, art, criminal justice and criminology, philosophy, languages, theology, women's studies, among others
- Tuition and Fees: $30,650 undergraduate; $17,890 graduate (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit university; 2,373 undergraduates and 1,275 graduate students
Trinity University - San Antonio
Trinity University's 42 different fields of study cover subjects from art, biology, and chemistry to religion, sociology, and theater. The school's 'Common Curriculum' requires undergraduate students to complete 3 courses each in the categories of cultural heritage; arts and literature; and human and social interaction. At the graduate level, Trinity students can earn master's degrees in teaching, school administration, school psychology, accounting, or health care administration. Located in a residential neighborhood a few minutes from downtown San Antonio, Trinity University provides guaranteed student housing and has a faculty-student ratio of 9:1. Nearly half of Trinity's students have studied abroad during their enrollment.
- Degrees Offered: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Music, Master of Arts, Master of Education, Master of Science
- Programs: 42 undergraduate majors, 57 minors, and 5 master's degrees
- Tuition and Fees: $42,976 undergraduate; $42,694 graduates (2018-2019)
- School Type: Liberal Arts College, 4-year private not-for-profit; 2,474 undergraduates and 163 graduate students
Universities with Liberal Arts Colleges in San Antonio, TX
Our Lady of the Lake University - San Antonio
Our Lady of the Lake University offers a variety of undergraduate liberal arts programs through the College of Arts and Sciences, including a Bachelor of Art or a Bachelor of Applied Studies in Liberal Studies. As a graduate student, you may wish to pursue a Master of Arts in English. In this program, you may choose one of five concentrations, including communication arts, English education, writing or language, and literature with either a thesis or non-thesis option.
- Degrees Offered: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Applied Studies, Master of Arts
- Field of Study Options: Art, biology, mathematics, Mexican-American studies, music, natural sciences, history, English, political science, drama, Spanish, philosophy, chemistry, mass communication, kinesiology, liberal studies, religious studies, and theology
- Tuition and Fees: $28,740 undergraduates; $17,142 graduates (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit university; 1,419 undergraduates and 1,730 graduate students
The University of Texas at San Antonio
The College of Liberal and Fine Arts (COLFA) at The University of Texas at San Antonio houses 11 academic departments and is the largest of the institution's colleges. COLFA administers the school's core curriculum. Along with many graduate programs leading to a master's degree, you can also pursue a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Anthropology, English, or Psychology.
- Degrees Offered: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Arts in Applied Science, Bachelor of Music, Master of Arts, Master of Fine Arts, Master of Music, Master of Science, Doctor of Philosophy
- Field of Study Options: Liberal arts departments: anthropology, art and art history, communication, English, history, modern languages and literature, music, philosophy and classics, political science and geography, psychology, sociology
- Programs: 23 undergraduate degree programs, 11 master's degree programs, 2 doctoral degree programs
- Tuition and Fees: $8,049 for in-state, $19,538 for out-of-state (undergraduates); $7,564 for in-state, $24,397 for out-of-state (graduates) (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, public university; 27,988 undergraduates and 4,276 graduate students
University of the Incarnate Word
The University of the Incarnate Word's College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences offers several undergraduate liberal arts programs and a variety of major concentrations, including Asian studies, women's and gender studies, pre-law, political economy, and justice and peace studies. An Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts and a Master of Art in Pastoral Institute are also available to you. During your undergraduate education, you may be able to take advantage of international internships and research opportunities. The university features small class sizes with a 14:1 teacher/student ratio.
- Degrees Offered: Associate of Arts, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Music, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Master of Art
- Field of Study Options: Liberal arts, philosophy, cultural studies, government and international affairs, psychology, sociology, criminal justice, music, music education, music industry studies, theatre arts, English, history, Spanish, art
- Tuition and Fees: $31,484 undergraduates; $18,762 graduates (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit university; 5,558 undergraduates and 2,705 graduate students
To recap, St. Mary's University, Trinity University - San Antonio, Our Lady of the Lake University - San Antonio, Our Lady of the Lake University - San Antonio and University of the Incarnate Word offer bachelor's and master's liberal arts degree programs.