Which Liberal Arts Universities Are Near Wichita, KS?
Learn about liberal arts universities near Wichita, Kansas. Get information about programs available and requirements to make an informed decision about your education.
Are you interested in learning more about the options for earning a liberal arts degree in Wichita, KS? This article covers the estimated costs, program types and more essential information pertaining to four local schools that can help during your decision-making process.
What You Need to Know
Individuals interested in attending a liberal arts school near Wichita may choose from at least four 4-year schools that include both colleges and universities. Liberal arts is a broad field of study and includes majors ranging from the natural sciences to the fine arts. As a result, students who earn a liberal arts degree will have the opportunity to not only specialize in a particular major, but will be able to take classes that lend themselves to a well-rounded education. Awards offered by the following schools include certificates, associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees; not all degrees are offered by all schools. Evening, weekend, and online classes are offered by some schools, as well.
Liberal Arts Colleges and Universities Near Wichita, KS
Bethel College - North Newton
Established in 1887, Bethel College is a Mennonite institution located roughly 28 miles away from Wichita. The college offers study abroad programs in 17 countries, and degrees available include the Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BS), Bachelor of Science in Social Work (BSSW), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN). In addition, there are 14 varsity intercollegiate sports available and nearly 50 clubs and organizations on campus. You can earn degrees in fields like literary studies, philosophy, youth ministry, and chemistry, among others.
- Degrees Offered: Bachelor's degrees
- Programs: Around 35 undergraduate degree programs
- Tuition and Fees: $28,540 (2018-2019)
- School Type: Four-year, private not-for-profit; 444 undergraduate students
Friends University is a private, not-for-profit institution offering a liberal arts education based on Christian values. The school maintains accreditation through The Higher Learning Commission, and it's also part of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Divisions within the college include business and information technology, social and behavioral sciences, fine arts, and education. Liberal arts degrees available through the religion and humanities division include a BA in Religion and Philosophy and a BA in Spanish. The natural sciences and mathematics division offers bachelor's degrees in subjects like mathematics, forensic science, and chemistry. The university also offers 12 master's degree programs in areas such as business law, teaching, environmental studies, and business administration. Master's degree students at Friends University typically attend courses in the evenings or on weekends, and online programs are available.
- Schools and Colleges: Six undergraduate divisions and a graduate school
- Degrees Offered: Associate's, bachelor's, and master's degrees
- Programs: Two associate's degree programs, 45 undergraduate majors, 12 master's degree programs
- Tuition and Fees: $28,415 for undergraduate students and $11,358 for graduate students (2018-2019)
- School Type: Four-year, private not-for-profit; 1,926 students (1,356 undergraduates)
At Newman University, you can earn undergraduate degrees in fields like communication, education, history, and mathematics, and pre-professional study is available in areas like dentistry, engineering, and law. Graduate degrees available at Newman University include the Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master in Theological Studies, Master of Arts in Theology, Master of Education, Master of Science in Nurse Anesthesia, and Master of Social Work (MSW). In addition, you can also pursue a joint MBA/MSW degree.
- Degrees Offered: Bachelor's and master's degrees
- Programs: 44 undergraduate majors, seven master's degree programs
- Tuition and Fees: $30,750 for undergraduate students and $9,160 for graduate students (2018-2019)
- School Type: Four-year, private not-for-profit; 3,373 students (2,766 undergraduates)
Located roughly 40 miles outside of Wichita, Southwestern College in Winfield, KS was established in 1885. Students can pursue undergraduate degrees in areas ranging from youth ministry to criminal justice. Master of Science degree programs are available in fields like accountancy, business administration, and security administration. In addition, Master of Arts degree programs are available in specialized ministries, theological studies, and teaching, and you can earn a Master of Education degree with a specialization in either curriculum and instruction or special education. The school also offers a doctoral program in education.
- Degrees Offered: Certificates, as well as bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees
- Programs: 12 certificates, 18 undergraduate majors, 10 master's degree programs, and one doctoral program
- Tuition and Fees: $30,150 for undergraduate students and $9,495 for graduate students (2018-2019)
- School Type: Four-year, private not-for-profit; 1,514 students (1,346 undergraduates)
Bethel College - North Newton, Friends University, Newman University and Southwestern College are four private colleges in the Wichita, KS area that offer liberal arts degree programs.