Which Minnesota Schools Offer CNA Classes and Training?
Learn about CNA classes and training in Minnesota. Get information about programs available, admission procedures and CNA training requirements to make an informed decision about your education.
Several schools in Minnesota offer CNA training and preparation for professional licensing exams. See info about four public Minnesota schools, including estimated expenses and common course topics.
What You Need to Know
Certified nursing assistant (CNA) programs in Minnesota are primarily offered through 2-year public schools and can be completed in about one month. Admission requirements can include an admissions test, background check, proof of immunizations and proof of liability insurance. You can enroll in day or evening classes. You'll also complete lab and clinical training. Those who complete a CNA training program are qualified to sit for the state exam. Read on for additional details about these schools and CNA training.
Schools Offering CNA Programs in Minnesota
Anoka Technical College
Anoka Technical College's certified nursing assistant course is offered in day or evening sessions. You learn to provide basic nursing care to patients in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities. Upon completion of training, you're eligible to take the nursing assistant competency exam. According to the MDH, candidates that pay for their training and testing prior to employment are eligible for reimbursement from their employer if receipts are submitted within one year of taking the CNA test.
- Program Name: Certified Nursing Assistant
- Program Length: Four weeks (five credits)
- Tuition and Fees: $5,584 per year (costs for 2018-2019)
- Admission Requirements: Must take and pass nursing assistant pre-test; Mantoux test within 90 days of clinicals; malpractice insurance; criminal background check and proof of immunizations
- School Type: 2-year, public; 1,844 students (all undergraduate)
Hennepin Technical College
Hennepin Technical College's nursing assistant class is available at the school's Brooklyn Park and Eden Prairie campuses during the Summer, Fall and Spring semesters. Through classroom lectures, supervised lab studies and 24 hours of clinical education, you learn to provide basic personal care to patients in nursing homes or other long-term care settings. When training is completed, you're prepared for the state's competency exam.
- Program Name: Nursing Assistant - Registered
- Program Length: Four weeks (four credits), full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $5,248 (costs for 2018-2019)
- Admission Requirements: Criminal background check; proof of negative TB test within 90 days of clinicals
- School Type: 2-year, public; 4,762 students (all undergraduate)
Minneapolis Community and Technical College
The nursing assistant/home health aide program at Minneapolis Community and Technical College prepares you to work at nursing homes, assisted living facilities and home healthcare agencies. You learn basic nursing assistant skills, like managing behavior, monitoring vital signs and assisting patients with their daily activities. You hone those skills at the college's on-campus laboratory and a long-term care facility. You can choose between the 5-credit course or a 6-credit extended-hour course; there is also a 3-credit acute care option if you want additional training in an acute care setting.
- Program Name: Nursing Assistant/Home Health Aide Certificate
- Program Length: Five credits, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $5,396 per year (costs for 2018-2019)
- Admission Requirements: Must pass reading placement test; criminal background check; proof of current immunizations and negative TB test; liability insurance
- School Type: 2-year, public; 6,951 students (all undergraduate)
Northwest Technical College
Northwest Technical College's nurse assistant program prepares you for work as a CNA in hospitals and long-term care facilities. The curriculum includes lecture and lab studies and a clinical portion to help you obtain supervised hands-on training. This course can also act as a prerequisite if you decide to enroll in the school's practical nursing associate's program.
- Program Name: Nursing Assistant Certificate
- Program Length: Four credits, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $5,488 per year (costs for 2018-2019)
- Admission Requirements: Proof of current immunizations and liability insurance prior to clinicals
- School Type: 2-year, public; 1,022 students (all undergraduate)
Certified nursing assistant programs are offered through at least four different technical colleges in Minnesota - Anoka Technical College, Hennepin Technical College, Minnesota Community and Technical College and Northwest Technical College.