Which Schools Have Fashion Degree Programs Near Memphis, TN?
Learn about fashion degree programs in Memphis, TN. Get details about classes available and program requirements to make an informed decision about your education.
Although fashion degrees are rare in the Memphis, TN, area, certificate and bachelor's degree programs are available. Read on to learn about the schools and their programs.
What You Should Know
Although fashion degree programs in Memphis are in short supply, you will find options at a local community college and university. You might start out by earning a 1-semester certificate in retailing and merchandising, to which you might add a business internship in order to practice your newly learned skills. You could also complete a 4-year professional studies bachelor's degree program with a fashion merchandising specialization. An internship and a final project are required. Read further to see if one of these programs might work for you.
Fashion Bachelor's Degree Program in Memphis, TN
University of Memphis
Located in the eastern part of Memphis, TN, this program aims to train you in building relationships with clients, attracting consumers to merchandise, predicting future trends, developing skills in home furnishing and marketing to multiple cultures. During this program, you can expect to complete courses in clothing and textiles, behavioral aspects in fashion, fashion merchandising systems, family resource management, housing trends and visual merchandising. Prior to graduation, this program requires students to complete an internship and final project during their last semester.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Professional Studies
- Specialized Areas: Fashion merchandising
- Program Length: Four years, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $9,317 per year for TN residents, $21,029 per year for non-residents (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, public; 21,458 students with 17,233 undergraduates
Fashion Certificate Program in Memphis, TN
Southwest Tennessee Community College
Southwest Tennessee Community College can be found in the heart of downtown Memphis, TN. This program is tasked with training you in merchandise planning and control, salesmanship, retail merchandising, applied techniques, data entry, store promotions and visual merchandising. This program's retail merchandising course specifically trains you in fashion industry practices and operations. If you don't have any related experience prior to completing this program, this school recommends that you complete a business cooperative internship to develop hands-on skills.
- Program Name: Technical Certificate in Retailing and Merchandising
- Program Length: 9-12 credit hours (roughly 1 semester, full-time)
- Tuition and Fees: $4,255 per year for TN residents, $16,543 per year for non-residents (2018-2019)
- Requirements: Measles, mumps, rubella, varicella and hepatitis B vaccinations
- School Type: 2-year, public; 9,347 students (all undergraduates)
For students in the Memphis, TN, area, Southwest Tennessee Community College offers a certificate in retailing and merchandising, and the University of Memphis offers a bachelor's degree in fashion merchandising.