Which Schools Offer Online Courses to Become a Safety Supervisor?
Safety supervisors, administrators, or managers know safety code requirements from OSHA, DOT, and EPA that apply to their industry. They may be responsible for enforcing company safety rules. Many schools, organizations, and private companies offer online courses for becoming a safety supervisor, and this article discusses a few options.
Professional Organizations for Safety Supervisors
The following professional organizations have information about becoming a safety supervisor.
- American Society of Safety Engineers, 1800 E. Oakton St., Des Plaines, IL 60018
- Board of Certified Safety Professionals, 208 Burwash Ave., Savoy, IL 61874
Important Facts About Safety Supervisors
|Required Education||Bachelor's degree|
|Work Environment||Offices, factories, mines, or other locations in the field|
|Projected Job Growth (2016-2026)||8% (all occupational health and safety specialists and technicians)*|
|Median Salary (2019)||$57,718**|
Sources: *U.S. Department of Labor Statistics; **PayScale.com
Odessa College, located in Odessa, Texas, offers these for-credit online courses to students who want to become safety supervisors.
- Principles of Industrial Hygiene
- Environmental Sampling & Analysis
- Environmental Regulation Interpretation and Applications
- DOT Regulations
Red Rocks Community College
By partnering with OSHA campus, Red Rocks Community College, based out of Lakewood, Colorado, can provide dozens of online courses for would-be safety supervisors, such as:
- Fall Arrest Systems
- OSHA's Electrical Standards
- Stormwater Management During Construction
- The Clean Air Act
- ISO 14000
- DOT Hazmat General Awareness
- HACCP Food Safety Course
- Introduction to OSHA and the OSH Act
- Means of Egress and Fire Protection
- Electrical Safety for General Industry
- Hazardous Materials
- Industrial Hygiene
- Hazard Communication
- Personal Protective Equipment for General Industry
- Machinery and Machine Guarding
- Confined Spaces for General Industry
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Ergonomics for Office Workers
Sinclair Community College
Sinclair College in Dayton, Ohio, offers a single online safety course in sanitation and safety.
Located in Columbus, Ohio, Franklin University accepts transfer credits equivalent to an associate's degree toward an online Bachelor of Science in Public Safety Management.