Which Schools in Los Angeles Offer Technology Management Programs?
Learn about technology management programs in the Los Angeles, CA, area. Get information about degrees available and program requirements to make an informed decision about your education.
Technology management programs typically blend business and computer science. If you live in the LA area, you can study technology management at either the undergraduate or the graduate level.
What You Need to Know
In most cases, becoming a leader in the field of information technology will require a 4-year degree, though some companies could request that senior management or executive candidates possess a graduate degree. You will find that several colleges and universities in and around Los Angeles offer degree programs that can prepare you to become a technology manager.
These programs can result in bachelor's or master's degrees in computer information systems, management information systems or information technology. Any of these subjects can also be an area of concentration or specialization in a business program. Topics you could expect to study include programming, networking, operating systems, database administration, systems analysis and business systems development. Some programs might include courses in web design, software engineering or electronic commerce.
Associate's Degree Program near Los Angeles
Fullerton College is located about 20 miles southeast of Los Angeles and offers an associate's degree program in CIS, which can prepare you for careers in computer administration and management. Your required classes include operating systems, networking concepts and Visual Basic programming. You can also take a variety of classes in technology and business, including Internet marketing, Internet research, Web page design and enterprise networking. In addition, a CIS certificate program is available.
- Program Name: Associate of Science (A.S.) in Computer Information Systems
- Program Length: 60 credits
- Tuition and Fees: $1,138 per year for in-state students, $6,010 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 22,644 students (all undergraduate)
Bachelor's Degree Programs near Los Angeles
California State University - Los Angeles (Cal State LA)
You can select a concentration in information systems, which prepares you for a career in technology management in a variety of business fields. A concentration in IT provides a more in-depth focus in technology and can prepare you to earn various certifications. Regardless of your concentration, some of your required courses include JAVA programming, MIS, system analysis, communication systems and operations management.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Computer Information Systems
- Specialization Areas: Information systems, information technology
- Program Length: 184 credits
- Tuition and Fees: $6,749 per year for in-state students, $18,629 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, public; nearly 24,223 undergrad and around 3,813 graduate students
California State University - Fullerton
The program involves 10 concentrations, including information systems, which can prepare you for a career in technology management. Your required core classes for the information systems concentration include programming, database management, systems analysis, business telecommunications for information systems and information systems development. You can also choose from electives in JAVA programming, enterprise systems, business modeling and data mining for managers. In addition to other business-related coursework for the major, you must complete a class in global management. A capstone course in strategic management is included.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Business Administration
- Specialization Area: Information systems
- Program Length: 120 credits
- Tuition and Fees: $6,886 per year for in-state students, $18,766 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, public; around 34,860 undergrad and 5,420 graduate students
Azusa Pacific University
Azusa Pacific University is located around 20 miles west of Los Angeles and offers a bachelor's degree in an accelerated 15-month format through its adult and professional studies division. You must have the equivalent of an associate's degree for entry to the program.
If you choose to pursue the B.S. degree program in MIS - which highlights technology management - you're required to take classes in organization and management, MIS, IT applications and advanced systems management. The CIS degree program focuses on computer skills, and your mandatory courses in the program include C++ programming, computer algorithms and a 3-course software project.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems/Computer Information Systems
- Program Length: 39 credits
- Tuition and Fees: $38,880 per year (2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: 60 credits of college-level credit with 2.0 GPA for program entry
- Admission Requirements: 2 years IT or information systems experience; letter of recommendation
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; roughly 5,657 undergrad and 4,438 graduate students
Master's Degree Programs near Los Angeles
California State University - Los Angeles
Cal State LA offers an MSIS degree program that's AACSB-approved with required classes in communication and information services, information systems and IT policy. In the MSIS program, you can choose a professional option, which is ideal for managers currently working in business information. In the professional MSIS program option, you can take courses in IT architecture and software engineering. You can pursue the executive MSIS program option with classes in data and object structures, methodology of logical design and application programming. The university also has a 28-credit graduate certificate program in advanced information systems.
- Program Name: Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS)
- Specialization Areas: Professional option, executive option
- Program Length: 45-48 credits
- Tuition and Fees: $8,183 per year for in-state students, $17,687 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: Bachelor's degree with 2.50 GPA
- Admission Requirements: GMAT or GRE scores, essay, 3 letters of recommendation, resume with 2 years of experience
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; almost 24,223 undergraduate and 3,813 graduate students
California State University - Fullerton
Your required courses for the M.S. program include data communications, information resources management, information systems analysis and business databases. If you select the e-commerce concentration, some of your required classes include Web applications development, entrepreneurship and Internet marketing. Some of the courses you may need for the decision sciences concentration are forecasting and experimental design, business intelligence and deterministic models.
CSUF also offers an MBA program with a concentration in information systems. With this MBA program, you can become prepared to work in accounting, marketing or financial information systems management.
- Program Name: Master of Science (M.S.) in Information Systems and Decision Sciences
- Specialization Areas: E-commerce, decision sciences
- Program Length: 30 credits
- Tuition and Fees: $8,320 per year for in-state students, $17,824 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: Bachelor's degree in business administration
- Admission Requirements: GMAT or GRE scores, statement of purpose, resume
- School Type: 4-year, public; approximately 34,860 undergraduate and 5,420 graduate students
In conclusion, there are several public and private colleges and universities near Los Angeles, California, where you can take the computer science and business classes you need to become a leader in the field of technology management.