Where Can I Take Graphic Art & Design Courses in Louisville, Kentucky?
Learn about art and design schools in Louisville, KY. See degree and specialization options, program requirements and courses, and get current tuition rates.
Students near the Louisville, KY, area can find undergraduate degree programs in graphic art and design. Explore the programs and learn about the different schools.
What You Should Know
Graphic art and design courses in and around Louisville, KY, can be found at 2- and 4-year schools. You could earn a 2-year associate's degree in visual communications, just over the border in Indiana. You might also spend the same amount of time earning an associate's degree in communication arts with a specialization in advertising design, right in Louisville. Additionally, 4-year bachelor's degrees are offered in design, arts & technology or in communication, art & design. A portfolio may be required for admittance, and internships may be optional or required. Read further to learn more program details.
Graphic Design Associate's Degree Programs in Louisville
Ivy Tech Community College - Southern Indiana Campus
Located about 10 miles north of Louisville in Sellersburg, IN, Ivy Tech Community College offers an associate's degree in visual communications. The coursework for this degree includes general education classes that can transfer to 4-year universities and design fundamentals, typography and portfolio preparation. The college also offers an Associate of Applied Science in Visual Communication program, but this degree is not designed for transfer. Because Louisville is located so close to the state border, the in-state tuition rate is available for students living in the Kentucky counties of Jefferson, Bullitt, Meade, Oldham and Trimble.
- Program Name: Associate of Science in Visual Communications
- Program Length: 61-63 credits (about two years, full-time)
- Tuition and Fees: $4,368 per year for IN residents; $8,402 per year for non-residents (for 2018-2019)
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 5,300 undergrad students
Jefferson Community and Technical College
Jefferson Community and Technical College offers an associate's degree in communication arts technology, a broad category used to describe the multiple elements that go into graphic design and advertising. With a concentration in advertising design, you'll study typography, Web design, drawing, illustration and photography. You'll submit a small portfolio at the end of each course so that you'll have a body of work to create your professional portfolio when you're ready to look for work. In addition to advertising design, you can complete concentrations in filmmaking and photography.
- Program Name: Associate in Applied Science in Communication Arts Technology
- Field of Study Options: Advertising design
- Program Length: 63-66 credits (about two years, full-time)
- Tuition and Fees: $4,328 per year for KY residents; $14,480 per year for non-residents (for 2018-2019)
- School Type: 2-year, public; 11,699 students (all undergraduates)
Graphic Design Bachelor's Degree Programs in Louisville
The bachelor's degree program in design, arts and technology offered through the College of Arts and Sciences blends communication, arts, music technology, information technology and media into a multidisciplinary curriculum. Within the program, you'll examine contemporary multimedia technologies, create original work and collaborate with others. You'll also complete a 3-hour internship and complementary major.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Arts in Design, Arts and Technology
- Program Length: Four years, full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $42,200 per year (for 2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; 3,369 students with 2,552 undergraduates
University of Louisville
The Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) program at the University of Louisville includes four foundation courses, studio classes, art history studies and a communication art and design curriculum. You can gain acceptance to the program by completing the foundation courses, the Introduction to Graphic Design course and a portfolio review, or by applying directly to the program as a freshman with a supplemental application essay and portfolio. Most BFA students complete an internship, as well as a capstone course where you must present your work to design professionals.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Fine Arts in Communication Art and Design
- Program Length: Four years, full-time
- Tuition: $11,656 per year for KY residents, $27,278 per year for non-residents (for 2018-2019)
- Admission Requirements: Completion of prerequisite courses, portfolio
- School Type: 4-year, public; 21,430 students with 15,641 undergraduates
Associate and bachelor's degree programs in the Louisville, KY, area, are available for students at both private and public institutions.