Invasive Cardiovascular Technology Schools

Read about the job duties of invasive cardiovascular technologists. Find out what classes you'd take and what skills you'd develop in a cardiovascular technology program. Check the prerequisites for admission to one of these programs, and read about the credentialing process for invasive cardiovascular technicians. Schools offering Cardiovascular Technology degrees can also be found in these popular choices.

There are many medical schools that offer invasive cardiovascular technology programs. You can also find degrees in the field from community and 4-year colleges.

What Is An Invasive Cardiovascular Technologist?

An invasive cardiovascular technologist works under the direction of a cardiologist to insert medical devices into the heart and veins of a patient. Usually working up the veins through an insertion point in the upper leg, the technologist can send monitoring equipment, pacemakers and intervention devices into the heart and the blood vessels. This measures the heart's performance and restores blood flow. Additionally, as a cardiovascular technologist, you work closely with physicians to restore function and treat diseased areas of the heart during an attack.

What Kind of Skills Will I Acquire?

The work of a cardiovascular technologist is equipment-intensive, so a significant part of your education would be learning the equipment and devices that you will be utilizing. These include catheterization devices, electrocardiogram machines and x-rays. You will also have to learn about the anatomy of the heart and the cardiorespiratory systems, as well as how to communicate with patients and doctors in a medical setting.

How Do I Get Into a Program?

Prerequisites for most invasive cardiovascular technologists include a high school diploma or equivalent, along with completion of various college-level general education classes. Some programs will also require you to have cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification prior to beginning study. Prerequisite courses may include medical terminology, anatomy and physiology.

Which Schools Offer Invasive Cardiovascular Technology Programs?

These programs are offered through medical schools. Additionally, degrees in cardiovascular technology are available at community colleges and 4-year universities.

  • An Invasive Cardiovascular Technology (ICVT) Program is available at Thomas Jefferson University to individuals who have completed or are enrolled in radiography, cardiac sonography or vascular sonography program
  • Carnegie Institute offers an Invasive Cardiovascular Technologist program to individuals with an associate's degree and medical experience
  • An Associate's Degree of Applied Science in Cardiovascular Technology is available from the Sentara College of Health Sciences

What Classes Will I Take?

You will take a number of classes in cardiovascular procedures and techniques. Courses will also teach you how to read and interpret the results of the cardiovascular exam. The bulk of your classes will involve clinical and laboratory work. You will learn how to insert the devices, communicate with the patients, interpret the results and assist physicians. Upon completion of your coursework, you will be qualified to take the Cardiovascular Credentialing International examination.

You can work towards invasive cardiovascular technology accreditation through a number of programs. Depending on the pathway that suits you best, you should be able to find a program that fits your needs.

To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below:

  • 1. Degree Options:
The schools in the listing below are not free and may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users. Tuition and costs will vary across programs and locations. Be sure to always request tuition information before starting a program.

Popular Schools