What Schools Have Makeup Artist Training in Portland, OR?
Learn about makeup artist programs in Portland, Oregon. Get information about degrees available and program requirements to make an informed decision about your education.
In the Portland, Oregon area, there are several schools offering makeup artist training programs. Read on to learn about one associate's degree program and two bachelor's degree programs offering training to gain makeup application skills.
What You Should Know
In and around Portland, Oregon, you can find makeup artist training in either 2- or 4-year schools. You might learn basic makeup artistry skills in a 2-year associate's degree program in cosmetology. Additionally, you could spend the same length of time completing an associate's degree in theater arts that offers a class in theatrical makeup. At local universities, you might pursue a 4-year bachelor's degree in theater arts or drama, where learning to apply stage makeup is one facet of the programs offered. Keep reading to explore your options near Portland.
Associate's Degree Programs Near Portland, Oregon
Mount Hood Community College
Through the cosmetology program at Mt. Hood Community College, you'll study skin, nail and hair care, and learn how to apply makeup. Courses explore the business of cosmetology and Oregon's cosmetology laws. You will gain practical experience applying skin care products and makeup through labs and clinics. If you complete the theater program, you can take a course in theatrical makeup where you'll create fantasy characters, change the perception of someone's age and develop character using makeup.
- Program Name: Associate of Arts in Theater Arts or Associate of Applied Science in Cosmetology
- Program Length: Two years
- Tuition and Fees: $5,441 in-state, $10,346 out-of-state (2018-2019)
- School Type: 2-year, public; approximately 8,612 students (all undergraduate)
Bachelor's Degree Programs Near Portland, Oregon
Portland State University
At Portland State University, you can take a class in stage makeup and learn to apply makeup for the stage. You could also participate in a costume production workshop, which involves putting together wigs, makeup and clothing for the actors and actresses. The campus has two theaters, a computer laboratory and movement studios.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Arts or Science in Theater Arts
- Field of Study: Theater studies, performance or design and production
- Program Length: Four years
- Tuition and Fees: $9,105 in-state, $27,437 out-of-state (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, public; approximately 20,357 undergraduate students and 5,354 graduate students
University of Portland
The University of Portland's drama program has three specialization options, including the performance and design options, which incorporate a course in theatrical makeup. This class addresses techniques for applying stage makeup. You'll study a variety of methods and styles. Other courses include costume design, set design, acting and the history of theater. The university also has a study abroad program in London, which could allow you to visit historical sites and famous theaters.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Arts in Drama
- Specializations: Performance and design
- Program Length: Four years
- Tuition and Fees: $45,904 (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; roughly 3,787 undergraduate students and 493 graduate students
To summarize the information in this article, there is an associate's degree program offering makeup artist training at Mount Hood Community College, a bachelor of arts or science degree program at Portland State University, and a Bachelor of Arts at the University of Portland.