Medical Assisting Schools Near San Jose, CA
Learn about medical assisting programs near San Josť, CA. Get information about available programs and requirements to make an informed decision about your education.
Medical assistant programs include a variety of courses from medical terminology to medical billing. Find out about certificate programs and associate's degree options and learn which schools offer them.
What You Need to Know
If you're interested in a career as a medical assistant, you can enroll in a certificate program in the field, offered full- or part-time, or you can enroll in an associate degree program. Core classes are typically supplemented with internship experience. You may be required to submit to background checks as part of the application or internship preparation process; CPR training, a physical exam, or completion of prerequisite courses may also be required of applicants. Keep reading to learn more.
Medical Assistant Certificate Programs Near San José, CA
De Anza College
In De Anza College's medical assisting certificate program, you can expect to learn basic clinical skills, such as administering medication, conducting lab procedures, helping the practitioner with minor surgery and reading a patient's vital signs. The program also includes courses in administration, such as medical records management, medical coding and billing. You also have the opportunity to complete an externship to gain practical experience in actual medical facilities prior to entering the field. De Anza College also offers an associate degree program in medical assisting.
- Program Name: Certificate in Medical Assisting
- Program Length: 1 year full-time or 2+ years part-time
- Tuition and Fees: $1,561 per year for in-state students; $7,501 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: Computer proficiency courses (may be optional)
- School Type: 2-year, public (about 19,500 undergraduates)
Evergreen Valley College
Evergreen Valley College's certificate program curriculum includes courses about medical terminology, medical billing and medical coding. The program also includes business, technology and communications courses. In the program, you need to complete an internship for on-the-job experience in a healthcare setting.
- Program Name: Certificate in Medical Assistant-Front Office
- Program Length: 22 credits full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $1,358 per year for in-state students; $7,994 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- School Type: 2-year, public (about 9,600 undergraduates)
Medical Assistant Associate Degree Programs Near San José, CA
Clinical duties covered in this accredited degree program include drawing blood, giving electrocardiograms (ECGs), administering medication and processing prescriptions. You also learn administrative skills, such as record management and office management. The program also includes an externship that requires you to pass security screenings like a background check and drug testing, which are required by local and state regulations. If you'd like to complete your medical assistant program without earning a degree, Cabrillo College also offers a certificate program that focuses strictly on core medical assisting courses.
- Program Name: Associate in Science in Medical Assistant
- Program Length: 2 years full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $1,270 per year for in-state students; $7,462 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- Admission Requirements: Vaccinations, drug testing, background check and fingerprinting (required for externship)
- School Type: 2-year, public (about 11,300 undergraduates)
West Valley College
West Valley College's associate program prepares you for a career in medical assisting working in the front and back offices of clinics, doctor's offices or outpatient facilities. The curriculum includes courses in medical terminology, electronic medical records, sterilization techniques and lab techniques. You also need to complete an internship for work experience while completing your training. Alternatively, you may also consider the medical assistant certificate program offered by this school.
- Program Name: Associate of Science in Medical Assistant
- Program Length: 2 years full-time
- Tuition and Fees: $1,463 per year for in-state students; $5,243 per year for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- Admission Requirements: CPR certificate, physical (for internship)
- School Type: 2-year, public (about 7,800 undergraduates)
Several 2-year colleges in the San José area offer certificate programs and an associate's degree in medical assisting, including De Anza College, Evergreen Valley College, Cabrillo College, and West Valley College.