Online Flight Training Colleges
Since flight training requires experience at the controls of an aircraft, you can't complete a fully online program in this field. However, numerous courses in a flight training program can be completed online, and online degree programs in related fields, like aviation management, are also available. Find out what you'd learn in an online flight training program or a related degree program. Discover how online programs work.
Online options do exist for flight training. You can study through associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs in areas like airport management, aviation technology management, and aviation science.
Why Don't Flight Training Colleges Offer Me Fully Online Degree Programs?
In some cases, some if not all of your flight school coursework can be completed through distance studies. However, to graduate from most flight schools, you'll typically be required to receive actual in-flight training under the tutelage of a professional pilot. Such instruction must take place aboard an aircraft. In addition, certain colleges might require you to receive this training at specific designated locations.
What Will I Learn in Flight Training School?
Schools might offer online courses covering topics such as pilot theory, meteorology, geography, navigation, aircraft safety and federal flight regulations. Flight training usually involves several hundred hours of instruction on how to read a plane's instrumentation, as well as the necessary skills involved in piloting both private and multi-engine aircraft. Upon graduation from a flight training college, you might earn a degree with a title such as:
- Associate of Science in Airline Transportation, Professional Pilot Operations
- Associate of Applied Science in Career Pilot Technology
- Associate of Applied Science in Aviation Pilot Training
- Bachelor of Science in Airline Transportation, Professional Pilot Operations
Which Schools Offer Online Associate's Degrees in Flight Training?
There are a handful of associate's degrees in flight training which are offered online. Some programs prepare students for a 4-year degree.
- Vaughn College offers an online Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree program in Aircraft Operations
- Mountain View College offers an online Associate in Applied Sciences (A.A.S.) degree program in Professional Pilot, Aircraft Dispatcher, and Airport Management
- Utah Valley University offers an online Professional Pilot Associate Degree program
Which Schools Offer Online Bachelor's Degrees in Flight Training?
Consider these online degree programs for professional pilot training. Other pathways exist in areas like aviation maintenance and aircraft operations.
- Utah Valley University offers an online Professional Pilot Bachelor Degree Program
- Spartan College offers an online Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree program in Aviation Technology Management
- Vaughn College offers an online Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree program in Aeronautical Sciences, Aircraft Operations, Aviation Maintenance, and Aviation Maintenance Management
What Related Fields of Study Might I Find in Fully Online Degree Programs?
Online degree programs in aviation maintenance might be available at some schools. Distance studies in this discipline can be presented at the associate and bachelor's degree levels. You might receive instruction on the upkeep and maintenance of sheet metal structures, airframe systems, airline electrical engine systems, flight control systems, advanced aircraft systems and gas turbine engines.
You might also consider pursuing online studies in aviation management. You'll find schools typically award associate and bachelor's degrees in this field. You might expect to take courses on subjects such as aviation management, aviation law, airport management, airport planning and perspectives in aviation.
In addition, you might be able to pursue an online Master of Business Administration in Aviation or Aviation Management at certain institutions. These degree programs are typically designed for aviation industry employees seeking professional advancement. You'll need a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 in your undergraduate studies to get into most schools. In some cases, you might need to have an academic background in statistics, calculus or quantitative methods.
You'll likely be instructed in topics such as marketing, finance, economics and business policy. You might also study subjects more closely related to the aviation field, including aviation policy, airport management, labor issues in transportation and carrier, passenger and cargo management. At certain institutions, you might be required to complete an internship. A capstone project is a likely graduation mandate.
Which Schools Offer Online Master's Degrees in Flight Training?
Online master's degrees in flight training include programs in aviation safety and aerospace management. These degrees tend to focus more on the business side of flight training.
- Florida Institute of Technology offers an online master's degree program in aviation safety
- Everglades University offers an online Master's Degree in Aviation Science
- Purdue University offers an online Master of Science (M.S.) degree program in Aviation and Aerospace Management
Study flight training online through various undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Consider aviation management training as well as training in pilot operations.