Which Liberal Arts Schools Are in the Houston, TX Area?
Learn about liberal arts colleges in the Houston, Texas, area. Get information about degrees offered, courses of study and tuition rates to make an informed decision about your education.
Houston has multiple options available for students looking to attend a liberal arts college in the area. This article details some of the potential fields of study for those who are considering enrolling at one of these institutions.
What You Need to Know
If you'd prefer to gain a broad understanding of a specific subject area or professional field, earning a liberal arts degree is a suitable option. You can focus your liberal arts degree in topics such as mathematics, psychology, fine arts, history and natural sciences.
In Houston, TX, there are faith-based, private liberal arts universities that offer a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs. If you want to attend a public institution, you'll find 4-year, public universities that contain liberal arts colleges offering both undergraduate and graduate study in a number of areas. To learn more about options for studying the liberal arts in Houston, TX, read on.
Liberal Arts Schools near Houston, TX
Houston Baptist University
Houston Baptist University is a private, Christian liberal arts school offering both undergraduate and graduate degree programs. The school features undergraduate degrees in business, natural sciences, fine arts and history. Master's degrees are offered in areas like business, fine arts, theology and social sciences. You can also enroll in pre-professional programs in dentistry, engineering, medicine, optometry, pharmacy, physical therapy or physician assisting.
- Degrees Offered: Associate's, bachelor's, master's, pre-professional, doctoral
- Colleges: Liberal Arts, Business, Christian Thought, Education and Behavioral Sciences, Fine Arts, Humanities, Nursing and Allied Health
- Tuition and Fees: $32,530 per year for undergraduates, $12,200 per year for graduates (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; around 3,432 students (about 2,321 undergraduate)
University of St. Thomas
Located in Houston, the University of St. Thomas is a Catholic school with many bachelor's and master's degree programs. Undergraduate degrees are available in business, education, theology and a wide range of arts and sciences. You can earn a master's degree in areas such as accounting, business administration, divinity, education and philosophy. The school also offers a Ph.D. program in philosophy and pre-professional programs in dentistry, medicine, optometry, pharmacy and law.
- Degrees Offered: Bachelor's, master's, doctoral, pre-professional
- Colleges: Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, Theology
- Tuition and Fees: $33,580 per year for undergraduates, $21,454? per year for graduates (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; about 3,223 students (around 1,978 undergraduate)
Universities with Liberal Arts Colleges near Houston, TX
Texas Southern University
The College of Liberal Arts and Behavioral Studies at Texas Southern University offers eleven undergraduate and four graduate degree programs. Bachelor's degrees are available in human services and consumer sciences, art, English, general studies, history, music, psychology, sociology, social work, Spanish and dietetics. You can also earn a Master of Arts degree in English, history, psychology or sociology. Each discipline within the college has access to its own computer lab.
- Degrees Offered: Bachelor's, master's, doctoral
- Field of Study Options: Art, English, General Studies, History, Music, Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Spanish, Dietetics, Human Services and Consumer Sciences
- Tuition and Fees: $9,173 per year in-state for undergraduates, $21,623 per year out-of-state for undergraduates, $6,811 per year in-state for graduates, $14,066? per year out-of-state for graduates (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, public; around 9,732 students (about 7,604 undergraduate)
University of Houston - College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
The University of Houston offers a broad array of degrees through its College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, with programs in creative and performing arts, humanities and behavioral sciences. Fields of study in the college include communication science and disorders, comparative cultural studies, English, psychology, political science and music. The college also houses the university's Air Force and naval ROTC programs.
- Degrees Offered: Bachelor's, master's, doctoral
- Field of Study Options: African American Studies, Air Force ROTC, American Cultures, Anthropology, Creative Writing, Dance, Latin American Studies, Liberal Studies, Public Administration, Military Science, Naval ROTC, Religious Studies, Gender and Sexuality Studies
- Tuition and Fees: $8,913 per year in-state for undergraduates, $21,273 per year out-of-state for undergraduates, $9,216 per year in-state for graduates, $18,465 per year out-of-state for graduates
- School Type: 4-year, public; around 46,324 students (about 38,348 undergraduate)
You can see that Houston is one viable option for students interested in a liberal arts college, with degrees offered from Houston Baptist University, University of St. Thomas, Texas Southern University and the University of Houston.