Which University Offers a Degree in Computer Game Design & Development?
Computer game design and development is an expanding creative field, with accelerating career opportunities for graduates who hold college degrees in game programming or similar fields. DePaul University in Chicago, IL, confers the Bachelor of Science in Computer Game Development. The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science: Computer Game Design is offered by the University of California, Santa Cruz. Find out more about these programs here.
DePaul University in Chicago, Illinois
DePaul University's College of Computing and Digital Media offers degree programs in computer science and software engineering. The Bachelor of Science in Computer Game Development is geared towards artistic students with the technological aptitude for creating interactive events. They can specialize in gameplay or systems programming:
- Gameplay Programming - Students focus on game programming, scripting, computer graphics, 3D modeling and game design and development. This specialization also contains a workshop in game modification.
- Systems Programming - In this concentration, students learn about computer systems, data structures and programming languages as well as game programming fundamentals.
Important Facts About a Degree in Computer Game Design and Development and Careers
|Prerequisites||Satisfactory scores on SAT/ACT and high GPA; artistic portfolio may be required for graduate degrees|
|Common Courses||Fundamentals of game design, game development, history of gaming|
|Concentrations||Game design, programming, systems programming|
|Possible Careers||Computer animator, concept artist, game designer, programmer, professional tester|
|Median Salary (2018)||$72,520 (for all multimedia artists and animators)|
|Job Outlook (2016-2026)||8% growth (for all multimedia artists and animators)|
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
University of California, Santa Cruz
At UC - Santa Cruz, students with a strong interest in computer science and programming can put their technological abilities toward the development of computer games. The program, which also explores art and music as they relate to computer games, leads to the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science: Computer Game Design. The curriculum includes a senior-year project in which teams of students create their own games. Supporting that capstone are course sequences in computer graphics and artificial intelligence in computer games.
The University of California, Santa Cruz hosts a computer game laboratory where game design majors can play and analyze computer games. The university library even offers copies of computer games for checkout. Mathematics and science courses are prerequisites for would-be computer game design students.
More School Options
The following colleges and universities also provide graduate and undergraduate programs in game design and development:
- Michigan State University: A specialization in game design and development offered in the following programs:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Arts in Studio Art
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Studio Art
- Bachelor of Arts in Media and Information
- Savannah College of Art and Design: The following degrees in interactive design and game development:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Master of Arts
- Master of Fine Arts
- Rochester Institute of Technology: Bachelor of Science in Game Design and Development
- Sacred Heart University: Bachelor of Science in Computer Science - Game Design and Development
- Arapahoe Community College: Associate of Applied Science in Game Design and Development