Personal Care Assistant (PCA) License

A personal care assistant license will further qualify you as a healthcare professional and open up roles in government-funded organisations. Learn more about the career in general, occupational requirements, available license and certifications. Schools offering Medical Assisting degrees can also be found in these popular choices.

What Kind of License Do I Need to Become a Personal Care Assistant?

No states require you to obtain a license to be a personal care assistant. However, if you receive federal payment through Medicare or Medicaid, federal regulations require you to participate in at least 75 hours of training and either pass a proficiency assessment or earn state certification.

To earn certification through your state's Department of Health Services, you might need to provide proof of training or competency through formal education and testing. You could find that your state offers training and skills evaluations online. Although you might not need licensure or certification, states often mandate that you work under the supervision of a registered nurse or licensed healthcare professional.

Licensure Only required for federal employees; 75 hours of training and completion of proficiency exam or state certification
Job Responsibilities Assist elderly populations with everyday tasks and provide companionship
Educational Requirements High school diploma; PCA certificates are available for further training
Certifications Available through the National Association for Home Care and Hospice (NAHC)
Median Salary (2018) $24,200 (for all home health aides)*
Job Outlook (2016-2026) 47% growth (for all home health aides)*

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

What Does the Job Entail?

A personal care assistant (PCA) is a home health aide that helps people, like the elderly or the mentally challenged, with everyday tasks that they're unable to do themselves. As a PCA, you can provide a wide range of services, such as grocery shopping, cleaning, bathing and companionship. You could work in the home of a single patient or visit several patients within a day, and each day could be less-than-routine. Becoming a PCA requires you to have flexibility, a high level of compassion and a strong desire to help people.

How Do I Get Started?

The level of education required to become a PCA is typically set by the state in which you live. In most cases, a high school diploma is enough education to gain you employment in the field, with training coming mostly from hands-on experience throughout your career. Personal care assistant certificate programs are available at several career training schools and community colleges. Some programs are offered online by colleges or private organizations, with skills testing performed locally.

You could work on a contract basis through staffing agencies that specialize in home healthcare, or you may be hired directly by a personal services company. You could also participate in specialized training to qualify to work in a certain area, such as elderly or developmental disability care.

What National Certifications Are Available?

National certification is available to you through the National Association for Home Care and Hospice ( The certification is mandatory if you work for a government-funded program, but it's not restricted to those who work in these agencies. Earning this certification requires 75 hours of training, a skills demonstration and passage of a written test. The association offers conferences, classes and online podcasts to assist you with professional development.

To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below:

  • 1. Degree Options:
The schools in the listing below are not free and may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users. Tuition and costs will vary across programs and locations. Be sure to always request tuition information before starting a program.

Popular Schools