Where Can I Get My Tennessee Teacher Certification?
Learn about teacher certification programs in Tennessee. See degree options, program requirements and courses for schools that offer bachelor's and master's degree programs.
Are you interested in getting your teacher certification in Tennessee? Here is some information on colleges that provide bachelor's and master's degree programs that will help prepare you.
What You Need to Know
There is an array of bachelor's and master's degree programs in Tennessee that prepare students for teacher certification. Bachelor's degree programs in education take four years; one school offers a 2+2 option for students who complete the first two years of a program at a 2-year college, earn an associate's degree and transfer into the bachelor's degree program to finish. Undergraduates may have to apply for admission to the teaching program after being admitted to the school; a minimum GPA and standardized test scores may be required. Field and clinical teaching experiences are generally required.
Master's degree programs can prepare students for initial or advanced teaching certification; one school offers students the opportunity to prepare for certification only. A bachelor's degree and standardized test scores are commonly required for admission. You may also be asked for an essay or a background check. The curriculum includes classroom instruction and a student teaching component. Read on to see if one of these programs is right for you.
Teacher Licensure Bachelor Degree Programs in Tennessee
While attending Carson-Newman College's liberal studies program, you'll study history, social studies methods, basic concepts and world regional geography. The program also includes a 1-semester student teaching experience during your last semester at the school. There's also a capstone seminar on liberal arts education. In order to earn your license, you'll have to first be admitted to the teacher education program, which requires a 2.5 GPA, 40 hours of college work, passing scores on PRAXIS I/standardized tests, recommendations, an interview and the completion of certain courses.
- Program Name: Teacher Education Program, Liberal Studies with K-6 Licensure
- Program Length: 128 credit hours
- Tuition: $27,900 (2018-2019)
- Admission Requirements: List of activities/honors is recommended, admissions are also based on recommendations, admission to the teacher education program
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; around 1,774 undergraduates, 786 graduates
East Tennessee State University
You'll learn about early childhood development and professional education and will also engage in a student teaching experience while in this program. The curriculum also includes critical reading, public speaking, literature and developmental psychology. Before earning your teacher license, you'll have to apply for admission to the university's teacher education program.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Development
- Program Length: 120 credit hours
- Tuition: $8,935 for in-state students; $27,199 for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- School Type: 4-year, public; approximately 11,268 undergraduates, 3,049 graduates
Tennessee Technological University
The 2+2 Program at Tennessee Technological University works with local community colleges to allow you to finish the first 60 credits of the program at a community college and the remaining credits at Tennessee Technological. Before being admitted to the program, you'll have to be admitted to the teacher education program, which includes an interview; dispositions from an academic advisor, college instructor or K-12 teacher/principal/counselor; a 2.50 GPA and passage of the Praxis Exam. The program also features a field and clinical experience where you can choose either a student teaching experience or a residency.
- Program Name: Bachelor of Science in Multidisciplinary Studies K-6 (2+2 Program)
- Specialization: Elementary Education
- Program Length: 120 hours
- Tuition: $824,595,731 in-state students; $24,595 for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: Attain an Associate of Science in Teaching or an Associate of Science general transfer degree
- Admission Requirements: Interview request form, background check, disposition request form, approved GPA, fulfillment of class requirements, testing requirements
- School Type: 4-year, public; around 9,006 undergraduates and 9,006 graduates
Teacher Licensure Master's Degree Programs in Tennessee
Christian Brothers University
The master's degree program at Christian Brothers is intended for those who wish to obtain either their initial teaching license or transitional licensure through an advanced, evening format. There's also a program available if you only want to earn your teacher's license without earning a graduate degree. Licensure is available in a variety of areas, including chemistry, early childhood education, middle grades education and history.
- Program Name: Master of Arts in Teaching
- Program Length: Approximately 1.5 years
- Tuition: $12,900 (2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: Bachelor's degree
- Admission Requirements: Letters of recommendation; Praxis PPST, Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores; essays; background check; fingerprinting
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; approximately 2,034 students (around 298 graduate students)
East Tennessee State University
In the master's degree program at East Tennessee State University, you'll study the learning abilities of children, the philosophy of early childhood education and research methods. Courses include community relationships, creative development, curriculum development and designing childhood environments. The university's student teaching component is designed to be a supervised experience.
- Program Name: Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education
- Program Length: 48 credit hours
- Tuition: $8,460 for in-state students; $23,598 for out-of-state students (2018-2019)
- Prerequisites: Bachelor's degree, 3.0 undergraduate GPA
- Admission Requirements: Essay, review by the admission committee
- School Type: 4-year, public; approximately 14,317 undergraduates, 3,049 graduates
Carson-Newman College, East Tennessee State University, Tennessee Technological University and Christian Brothers University are four colleges in Tennessee that offer teacher degree programs that can help you get your teacher certification.