What Online Schools Offer Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science?
Programs in either veterinary medicine or animal science are not suited for a total online delivery due to hands-on courses that are part of the core curricula. Some schools do offer online or hybrid programs in animal science. Other veterinary colleges provide the opportunity to earn online continuing education (CE) credits in veterinary medicine to help practicing vets recertify. Explore some school options here.
Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science Online Schools
Online programs are an important and valuable option for individuals with limited resources or multiple responsibilities. Veterinary and Animal Science programs specifically hope that graduates will ultimately demonstrate the competency as traditional students when working with a broad range of species in a constantly changing landscape. Drexel University, Oregon State University and Colorado State University are among the institutions offering courses online in this field.
Important Facts About Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science Programs
|Common Courses||Principals of animal nutrition, common diseases of companion animals|
|Degree Levels||Associate's, BA, BS, MS|
|Degree Fields||Animal science, Livestock management|
|Possible Careers||Livestock management and production, animal technician, agricultural extension agent|
|Median Salary (2019)||$71,160 (for farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural managers)|
|Job Outlook (2019-2029)||6% decline (for farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural managers)|
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Drexel University is the only institution in the United States that offers a Master of Science in Laboratory Animal Science online. The original, on-campus program was established in 1985; both the online and on-campus program are designed to be completed within three years. Students of the online program are not required to complete a practicum. However, they must have worked for at least two years in the lab animal science field. Students learn about laboratory science, animal facility management and other topics by taking courses that may include:
- Animal science laboratory financial management
- Biomedical research and animal models
- Laboratory animals: biology and care
- Laboratory animals: disease
- Techniques and concepts: clinical laboratory
Oregon State University
Oregon State University's Bachelor of Science in Animal Science is a hybrid program, partly online and partly on-campus. It's unlikely the program will ever be completely online, because there are clinicals and lab courses in the curriculum. Online courses are available through the school's extended campus. A selection of animal science courses available online include:
- Animal nutrition principles: includes how animals digest food and the effects of nutritional deficiencies.
- Animal genetics: topics in natural selection, population manipulation and genetic segregation are discussed.
- Animal physiology: an examination of animals' biological functions.
- Contentious social issues in animal agriculture: examines animal biotechnologies, animal welfare and hormone use, among other topics.
- Ration formulation and feedstuffs: looks at the processing and characteristics of feedstuffs consumed by domestic animals. Students learn how to formulate and calculate domestic animal rations.
Colorado State University
Colorado State University does not offer a full veterinary medicine or animal science degree program online. However, it does offer several CE credit courses for veterinarians. These courses fall into the following six main categories, with example course topics shown:
- General courses: bovine lameness.
- Animal behavior: elimination problems in canines.
- Beyond clinical skills: dealing with difficult clients.
- Poisonous plants: toxic house plants.
- Swine medicine: health management for miniature pigs.
Advanced and specialist topics can also be addressed in online CE courses and could be taken in such areas as dermatology, critical care, immunology, nutrition and GI disease and orthopedic surgery. The school also offers online graduate courses for credit, including:
- Pet nutrition
- Biology and behavior of dogs
- Domestic animal anatomy
- Kansas State University Division of Continuing Education: Bachelor's in Animal Science and Industry
- North Carolina State University Distance Education: Master of Animal Science
- University of North Carolina Online: Master of Animal Science